Mosaic Select price change

EKE BBB

Personally, I think Mosaic does a damned fine job at holding the line on price increases. With many labels offering $18.98 list priced CDs of mediocre music (often 40 minutes or less), Mosaic has done there best to make available long out of print recordings to serious collectors.

It is interesting that they are eliminating the numbered boxes in the Mosaic Select series. They did away with hand numbering of the regular Mosaic boxes for a time, then returned to it.

Well this certainly changes my Mosaic shopping strategy. I haven't purchased any selects yet as I've been picking off the full sets, but now with the price increase I'll just have to switch to Selects. :blush:

Funny, I haven't bought anything but Selects for a while now. Them others is too bulky and way too spendy for me right now (though I do have my eye on the Farmer/Golson Jazztet and the Mulligan Concert Band).

By the way, I just got the Andrew Hill, Art Pepper, and Dizzy Reece Selects in the mail today.

So you bought THREE Selects, but the regular Mosaics are "way too spendy"??

Hey, that should be perfectly logical for readers of this board! ;)

Makes sense to me, ya gotta spend a lot now to save $15 later! Or something like that! :lol:

By the way, I just got the Andrew Hill, Art Pepper, and Dizzy Reece Selects in the mail today.

So you bought THREE Selects, but the regular Mosaics are "way too spendy"??

Hey, that should be perfectly logical for readers of this board! ;)

Makes sense to me, ya gotta spend a lot now to save $15 later! Or something like that! :lol:

Hey, I got three different sets from three different artists for the price of one regular Mosaic, plus I saved that hypothetical $15! It's not logical, I know, but it just seems more satisfying...

That's unfortunate, but it's still worth it in most cases. I might not get the Tolliver at that break point, however.

That would be a terrible mistake. That set is incredible, trumpet playing as good as it gets and otherwise very difficult to find material. The Slugs recordings are a milestone in jazz to me.

• 1 month later...

I just got my Mulligan Select. Can't wait to hear it!

FYI - The selects are no longer numbered at all - not pre-printed on the box nor hand-numbered. Okay, not a fatal flaw, but certainly a little disappointing.

Oh, and the price increase for me was a little higher. My Mulligan select cost $88..... Only because I ordered the Mulligan and the Bechet and didn't receive the Bechet. :(

I am sure Mosaic will take care of that in their usual expedient fashion.

I would pay $20 more per set if they were all remastered by Malcolm Addey (instead of Ron McMaster).

I'm with you, brother.

Maybe Mosaic will announce a Mosaic Select Elite series featuring the work of Malcolm Addey.

Seriously, if they hear enough of it, they might consider hiring Malcolm for these reissues, right?

• 4 months later...

Beginning with the Gerry Mulligan Select, the Select boxes will incorporate the B&W photo on a silver background which we believe will make for a more elegant look. Also, to trim some costs without affecting the production value, we are eliminating the preprinted set # although they will continue to be Limited Edition sets of 5000 each

Hope these will look better than the current boxes. I have never liked the pastel colored boxes - probably the only thing that Mosaic has done that I did not like as a matter of fact.

I entirely agree. And I never liked the pre-printed set numbers, either.

Hmm... the $ increase deadline is past and the first 20 are still at $39. Just ordered the Tolliver, Moncur & Weston yesterday. My first Selects ever.

I just ordered the Moncur and Tolliver as well (already enjoy the Weston, Reece, and Pullen).