stranger things have happened

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom has this. She played it for my brother and I over Christmas. "You won't believe who this is..."

Um, yeah, I probably will. Wait, is it someone I went to school with? No? Huh, an American Idol finalist? No, you're right. I wouldn't have believed that an AI star would attempt a jazz album. After half a tune, it really kicks in. Leave this type of thing to the jazz singers.

I'm sure this guy will find his audience. It certainly isn't here, and you can't blame him for trying.

Why? It looks like an independent release. This guy could have made a pop album and sold thousands and thousands of copies. Instead, he recorded a (stretch, gulp) jazz album.

I'm not going to defend the music, because I think it is lacking. I just don't understand what you would have against someone releasing an album of standards and jazz-styled songs with working musicians. I don't care what happens with this album, I don't care if this guy goes on to become a LV lounge act. I really don't have a dog in this race. Do you? Why so much flack? Let it go. I have a feeling this disc will probably disappear into obscurity, like most bad and GOOD jazz albums do, come to think of it.

i'll admit i'm one of the first guys to give spammers shit when they start several identical threads in different forums. but honestly, what did this newbie do to deserve the crap he's getting here? although it's not my cup of tea, this is a legitimate recording that falls within the scope of this board's discussions. the poster appears to be enthusiastic about a new release and wanted to share it with people who presumably have a deep respect for jazz. what's going on here isn't cool. :tdown

When is the last time we had a spammer... errr... sorry, "newbie," with a sense of humor? They always seem so incapable of rolling with a punch; smiling and shrugging off criticism is just not possible. They drop their turds and then whimper when some complain of the smell.

Acting hurt and wounded? Oh yes! Can do. Could be because they're often so very young and not able to understand why folks out of their teen-age years are not able to share in their nascent enthusiasms.

By the way, I'd consider our new member a newbie and not a spammer if I honestly thought that s/he would ever post on any other topic on this board. Has that happened yet? :sound of wind blowing down desolate street:

PS: ...with all due respect to those expressing an opposing opinion, valued members jazzshrink and .:.impossible. :)

When is the last time we had a spammer... errr... sorry, "newbie," with a sense of humor? They always seem so incapable of rolling with a punch; smiling and shrugging off criticism is just not possible. They drop their turds and then whimper when some complain of the smell.

Acting hurt and wounded? Oh yes! Can do. Could be because they're often so very young and not able to understand why folks out of their teen-age years are not able to share in their nascent enthusiasms.

By the way, I'd consider our new member a newbie and not a spammer if I honestly thought that s/he would ever post on any other topic on this board. Has that happened yet? :sound of wind blowing down desolate street:

PS: ...with all due respect to those expressing an opposing opinion, valued members jazzshrink and .:.impossible. :)

Right on.

I'm a she

This is a trend that is going on for a year or so: a Pop, Hip Hop or a Rock star thinks to himself: I need to re-invent myself as a sophisticated cat - I'll do a Jazz Album. I'll throw in a few standards, assemble a few musicians, and voila - A new and improved Star is born! And I'm not talking William Shatner here, I'm talking about "serious" singers.

Someone needs to tell these guys that Jazz isn't only about singing with a real drum kit instead of a machine and doing some standards.

I'm sorry, but I just have to copy and paste this "review" which was posted by NEW MEMBER jazzybabe ( :huh: ) over at the JC:

i bought justin guarini's new jazz cd from his website at www.justinguarini.com!

i'm very impressed with justin's cd and his take on these songs are very fresh and innovative! i have played this cd for many jazz fans whom all loved this cd!

each song is very unique and the style is a mix of Jazz and soul and even an r&b groove to it..i think it's the most refeshing jazz cd i've heard in a very long time!

rod stewart should stick to rock and if you consider him to be jazz then this is not much of a jazz board!

Justin's Cd is Real Jazz Cd...not frank sinatra impersonations of the same rendition done a million times! The Band is top notch and they have Toured with the top grammy award winning jazz artist in the business! touring with David benoit and Mindi abair and others! these are Top musicians in the Jazz world!

it's a wonderful and innovative Jazz Cd and it is nice to see some Fresh voices in Jazz and some new style of Jazz as well!

I highly recommend this CD ! Justin's take on My funny valentine on the full version on Cd is Amazing! All the tracks on the Cd are wonderful and there is Nothing ordinary at all about this cd it's great!

His cd is getting great reviews...i guess you need some education in music and jazz to appreciate how amazing this cd is!

alovinj: thanks for the little review jazzybabe

Indeed!

Edited by Chaney

This is a trend that is going on for a year or so: a Pop, Hip Hop or a Rock star thinks to himself: I need to re-invent myself as a sophisticated cat - I'll do a Jazz Album. I'll throw in a few standards, assemble a few musicians, and voila - A new and improved Star is born! And I'm not talking William Shatner here, I'm talking about "serious" singers.

Someone needs to tell these guys that Jazz isn't only about singing with a real drum kit instead of a machine and doing some standards.

Agree.

His first and only other cd bombed and the record label dropped him. His 15 minutes are just about up and he is scrambling to see if he can pull off a miracle.

Edited by catesta

Actually, Annelies, while I consider you a spammer, I could be considered a thread-crapper. May I offer a suggestion? Have you ever visited the Steve Hoffman board? If you were to start a thread there, thread-crapping would not be tolerated.

:)

ON THE EDIT: From the Hoffman board: American Idol's Justin Guarini Dropped By RCA

Edited by Chaney

I'm a she

Are you a jazz fan or a Justin fan?

Are you under 21 or over?

Do you own any Rod Stewart "Songbook" CD?