Backing up your Mosaics...

I'm at the point where I have some of the treasured Mosaics that went OOP (and many of the current ones) and I'm thinking that I might burn all of my Mosaics to CDR and keep them in a safe place... (my office).. just in case disaster strikes at my house... (fire... my toddler daughter decides they're good frisbees, etc.....) :huh:

:huh::(:(

Does anyone else do that?

And if yes, what do you do about the booklet??? Any suggestions/strategies... :mellow:

I'm at the point where I have some of the treasured Mosaics that went OOP (and many of the current ones) and I'm thinking that I might burn all of my Mosaics to CDR and keep them in a safe place... (my office).. just in case disaster strikes at my house... (fire... etc.....) :huh:

I recommend not worrying about it. If a disaster like that struck your house, I'm sure the good folk on this Board would be eager to help you out with some CDR's. Count me in.

Edited by John Tapscott

Insure your music, handle it with care and enjoy it. Consider adding a burglar/fire alarm system, after installation costs, monitoring usually only runs between $20-$30 per month.

I would bet that the office is no safer than home (maybe even less so!) for storing valuable items.

Backing up my Mosaic collection is simply not feasible, as I have far too many of them (88 + all 20 Mosaic Selects), including the massive three volume Commodore LP collection and the Nat King Cole Trio sets.

I'm not quite at your level Ken... I've got about half of the Selects and about 22 sets... I know it's a daunting task... but I am slightly inclined to burn them.. Would take a good day or so... but it can be done... (Might only provide me piece of mind..... but...)

Did you insure yours??? I talked with my insurance guy once and he was like.. "what the hell.. you want to insure CDs????" Did you get a seperate policy??? :unsure::unsure:

I'm at the point where I have some of the treasured Mosaics that went OOP (and many of the current ones) and I'm thinking that I might burn all of my Mosaics to CDR and keep them in a safe place... (my office).. just in case disaster strikes at my house... (fire... etc.....) :huh:

I recommend not worrying about it. If a disaster like that struck your house, I'm sure the good folk on this Board would be eager to help you out with some CDR's. Count me in.

I have all mine insured by Lloyd's of London--it's cheaper, and less time-consuming.

Are u serious? :huh::huh::unsure::unsure:

Of COURSE not! I'd NEVER place all the risk with just one carrier! I actually have them insured with Traveler's, The Hartford, State Farm, and 17 other insurance companies. :w

I haven't tried this, so this isn't an endorsement, but Mp3tunes.com is now offering an online "locker" for digitized music for $39.95 per year. So you could rip your Mosaics, sync your files up to your online locker so you could listen to 'em from work, home, or wherever, and put those precious black boxes in a fireproof vault somewhere.

My biggest fear has been damaging/scratching a Mosaic disc.

CD blanks are cheap, any office supply store sells them in cases of 50-100 with rebates so they cost almost nothing versus injuring a Mosaic disc. I copied a few hundred of my CDs including many Mosaics to have a chunk of my collection at work because I can listen all day 40 hours /week. My wife bought me an Ipod last October, now I can carry 80 cd's worth of music to work in a tiny little box that I can plug into my tuner and hit the "shuffle" button, randomizing my listening to tracks of Chaloff, Konitz/Tristano, Quebec, Desmond ,Blakey, Morgan, Mobley, Jacquet, Byrd/Adams, etc...

I agree with John. The best "insurance" for covering the loss of Mosaic sets is having friends with Mosaic sets.