JOS - Crazy! Baby

Soulstation1

stupid ?

can you tell the difference in sound on a b3 vs c3?

so..... BATCS is on a C3? DAMN......

ALL the BN / Prestige @ RVG'S Crib is on THAT C3....HOLY COWS

No, there is no sound difference between a B3 and a C3. They have the same internals. That said, all Hammond organs sound different from each other. Even two identical B3s from the same year will sound different due to parts aging different (due to the conditions/atmosphere/environment they were kept in), which tech at the factory set it up, how hard it's been played, how often it's been moved, etc. etc.

And yes, all those records on BN and Prestige that were recorded at RVG's are the same organ. It's amazing to hear a Patton record next to a Jimmy Smith and think that it's the same organ, and yet it sounds like a different instrument.

Yes, he still has the same one. Any album with organ on it that was recorded in that studio is that Hammond C3. I'd love to make a prilgrimage there just to look at that piece of history. I don't think I could make myself play it.

I've recorded there on that C3. It's as good as you'd think it is. Sounds like those records even live in the room.

Here's a pic of me playing Rudy's C3 at his Englewood Cliffs studio that I recently found. Pretty grainy photo, but it's all I got from that session...

mikeandc35.jpg

Edited by Soul Stream

Yes, he still has the same one. Any album with organ on it that was recorded in that studio is that Hammond C3. I'd love to make a prilgrimage there just to look at that piece of history. I don't think I could make myself play it.

I've recorded there on that C3. It's as good as you'd think it is. Sounds like those records even live in the room.

Here's a pic of me playing Rudy's C3 at his Englewood Cliffs studio that I recently found. Pretty grainy photo, but it's all I got from that session...

mikeandc35.jpg

Cor!

MG

04sspy.jpg

Dr. Richard Laverne: Do you mind If I sketch you?

Katherine Jaqueneau: You want to sketch me?

Dr. Richard Laverne: Nothing would please me more.

Katherine Jaqueneau: Here?

Dr. Richard Laverne: No, back at my apartment.

Katherine Jaqueneau: Is it close?

Dr. Richard Laverne: Yes. It's a 12-hour drive. Which, of course, feels like nothing when you're behind the wheel of the world's finest motorcar, Jag-u-ar.

Katherine Jaqueneau: Sure. I'll go.

Dr. Richard Laverne: But you must make your decision quickly. We don't have much time.

Katherine Jaqueneau: Did you not just hear me?

Dr. Richard Laverne: What did you say?

Katherine Jaqueneau: I said I would go with you.

Dr. Richard Laverne: There's only one problem. I don't know how to drive a stick. And I have no depth perception.

As to the cover of the LP, well I've always had the idea that Reid Miles had a soft spot for Jaguars.

Ya think? ;)

blue%20note%20276.jpg

blue%20note%20326.jpg

bluenote3%20009_1.jpg

Is there one more I can't recall?

I think that's all the Jags he did. He did a couple more cars:

blue%20note%20401.jpg

I don't think that's a Jag; I get more of a Bentley feel about that one. Clever shot.

blue%20note%20426.jpg

And that's DEFINITELY not a Jag. Elegant shot.

MG

yeah I wondered about Jimmy's organ at Rudy's (no pun intended) too. I wonder if the organ you see in the Mosaic set is JOS's own B-2(his first organ) or B-3 that he bought a bit later on. He started using percussion on the recordings the middle of '57 I think(when he stopped using the last drawbar for that whistle) I would assume the organ with cig stains is Jimmy's as seen is a session shot from "A New Sound A New Star"

I just listened to the first side of Crazy Baby and think that what JOS does with the A section of the head of "Night In Tunisia" is crazy, baby! Has anyone else ever played it that way, I don't think any of Jimmy's other versions are like this either...

If I help finance the trip to RVG's can we put an Avanti or other Studebaker on the cover?