live Herbie from '73 on Darkfunk (get it fast)

Rooster_Ties

Guest akanalog

i would disagree-

the torrent site i use is very anal about respecting artists wishes regarding the disemination of live recordings. and it's possible to find herbie hancock recordings, including this one, there.

people will say-does hancock say it is OK or does he just not say it is NOT OK?

well if artists don't want people doing this it seems like they step in. the moderators know what they are doing. artists who care (mostly todays crop of guitarists who know they have a hippie following and can get those hippies to pay for live releases in the future) make it known and stop their stuff from getting traded.

and to call the site in question in this thread a bootleggers site is silly. this guy is a bootlegger? is he profiting off of any of this? i think he is just putting up two live shows he likes for download in crappy mp3 format.

what is this 10-28-73 show? a radio broadcast? it's illegal for this guy to put up a radio broadcast he or someone else taped online for others to check out?

on most live versions i hear of chameleon, herbie spends a lot of time just making white noise during his solo spot rather than doing anything normal. why did he do this? was this his way of thumbing his nose at his hit and the commerciality of it all?

I've seen the band live with Mike Clark around the time Thrust was released - Herbie did some kind of snake charmers' act with a remote control of his synth during Chameleon - trying to make a show. If you hear that on the live recording without seeing him, it sounds like he was out of ideas.

It was a rather weak show part, compared to what rock acts did at the time, and also compared to the musical fireworks the band displayed in other numbers.

mason does sound light and elegant-

it is just a shame that he was around at such a bad time for the music in general.

i mean it was headhunters and then straight into the commercial glossy and disco-ey sounds of bob james and grover washington and wilbur longmire and whoever type stuff for the most part.

if he had come around a few years earlier he would also have more good music in his discography.

Yes indeed. I've always felt this is why Mason never recieved the props he was obviously due.

It seems it was his own choice to make a career as a studio musician - before he joined the Headhunters he was with Gerry Mulligan and George Shearing.

He does jazz sessions once in a while - there is a nice one with Ron Carter "When Skies Are Grey".

His last release as a leader was a straightahead trio record - I started a thread on it when it came out but it was largely ignored. Check it out, it's a good record.

Edited by mikeweil