live Herbie from '73 on Darkfunk (get it fast)

Rooster_Ties

The unknown tune didn't ring any bells for me (will feel like an idiot if it should have). Anybody know it??

To me it sounds like an improvised solo - no similarities to anything Herbie recorded before or after.

BTW - "the spook who sits by the door" is an alternate (first) title for "actual proof" from the "thrust" album.

Listening now. Pity about the sound but fascinating nonetheless.

Towards the end (after 'Chameleon') Herbie starts talking about his new album (Headhunters) and says that they recorded eight tracks, but could only fit on four. So... what's sitting in Columbia's vaults???!! :rfr:o:ph34r:

Listening now. Pity about the sound but fascinating nonetheless.

Towards the end (after 'Chameleon') Herbie starts talking about his new album (Headhunters) and says that they recorded eight tracks, but could only fit on four. So... what's sitting in Columbia's vaults???!! :rfr:o:ph34r:

I suppose "Shiftless Shuffle" which was released on the "Mr. Hands" album is one of them. An amazing track, with Harvey Mason not making any prisoners .....

Anybody listened to this recording?

Herbie Hancock

Strata Concert Gallery

Detroit, MI

20 February 1973

3cd

sbd/fm?>?>cdr>eac(secure mode, copy range)>cd wav(retrack, edit)>flac(level 8)

cd1

01 Hidden shadows (42:35)

02 Firewater (19:54)

cd2

1 Revelation (24:45)

2 You'll know when you get there (42:57)

cd3

1 Quasar (13:31)

2 Improvisation (11:38)

3 Hidden shadows reprise (19:35

Herbie Hancock - Fender Rhodes, Percussion

Bennie Maupin - Reeds, Percussion

Eddie Henderson - Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Percussion

Julian Priester - Trombones, Percussion

Buster Williams - Double Bass, Electric Bass, Percussion

Billy Hart - Drums, Percussion

Patrick Gleeson - ARP 2600 Synthesizer, Percussion

I suppose "Shiftless Shuffle" which was released on the "Mr. Hands" album is one of them. An amazing track, with Harvey Mason not making any prisoners .....

I love Mason's playing on the Headhunters album- funky with some extra jazz chops when he needs to shift up a gear. Mike Clarke, good though he was, just wasn't in the same league (as this live recording underlines- Chameleon seems curiously sluggish).

Of course the 'Shiftless' on Mr Hands would have been a much later (1980?) recording. The idea of an earlier take is intriguing. Considering the success of the original album one would have thought Columbia would have released an expanded edition (or Headhunters II) if there was unissued material.

Guest akanalog

i got that one guy.

actually i have a short version that fits on one CD.

it is nice.

sounds like you would expect, music-wise.

sound quality is ok but not incredible.

i just got the 3 CD version but have not had a chance to listen to it.

hopefully it sounds a tad better.

this is some of my favorite music and i was and am so happy to get to hear what it was like live.

actually, guy, i think you can still find the 3 CD version online.

Guest akanalog

mike clark was too busy.

seemed like he was too concerned with showing off and showing how complex the simple beats could be rather than keeping a nice groove going. everything sounds like there is too much effort put in. mason layed it down more effortless and less hectic.

.......Of course the 'Shiftless' on Mr Hands would have been a much later (1980?) recording. The idea of an earlier take is intriguing. Considering the success of the original album one would have thought Columbia would have released an expanded edition (or Headhunters II) if there was unissued material.

What makes you so sure - just the release date ca. 1980? The album liner didn't give any recording dates, nor do the discographies. Personnel and sound are identical.

I guess Bob Belden just didn't want to touch the legendary Headhunters album, or he didn't know or care or wasn't allowed.

Anybody listened to this recording?

02 Firewater (19:54)

Is this the Buster Williams composition? I'm very curious how they were playing it in 1973. Anything remotely like the version on "The Prisoner" (or even less likely, the Jazz Crusaders version)?

Edited by Daniel A

i got that one guy.

actually i have a short version that fits on one CD.

it is nice.

sounds like you would expect, music-wise.

sound quality is ok but not incredible.

i just got the 3 CD version but have not had a chance to listen to it.

hopefully it sounds a tad better.

this is some of my favorite music and i was and am so happy to get to hear what it was like live.

actually, guy, i think you can still find the 3 CD version online.

I have it on my hard drive, haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet. Just wanted peoples' opinions.

Guy

mike clark was too busy.

seemed like he was too concerned with showing off and showing how complex the simple beats could be rather than keeping a nice groove going. everything sounds like there is too much effort put in. mason layed it down more effortless and less hectic.

I dunno- Mason on 'Shiftless Shuffle' is waaaaay busy but still grooves like an S.O.B. You're right though- when you listen to Clark you hear effort.

.......Of course the 'Shiftless' on Mr Hands would have been a much later (1980?) recording. The idea of an earlier take is intriguing. Considering the success of the original album one would have thought Columbia would have released an expanded edition (or Headhunters II) if there was unissued material.

What makes you so sure - just the release date ca. 1980? The album liner didn't give any recording dates, nor do the discographies. Personnel and sound are identical.

Good point- I always just assumed that Mr. Hands was a 'new' album at the time. 'Shiftless' seems to be the only cut where Herbie sticks to Rhodes and Clavi, so it could be from the Headhunters sessions. On the other hand, I've never heard anything that suggests iMr. Hands is a collection of older music.

I guess Bob Belden just didn't want to touch the legendary Headhunters album, or he didn't know or care or wasn't allowed.

Given Belden's involvement with this music, I'd suspect the latter.

Good point- I always just assumed that Mr. Hands was a 'new' album at the time. 'Shiftless' seems to be the only cut where Herbie sticks to Rhodes and Clavi, so it could be from the Headhunters sessions. On the other hand, I've never heard anything that suggests iMr. Hands is a collection of older music.

Some of it may have been recorded only months before its release, some suggests the latest stylistical developments in Herbie's music.

But Shiftless Shuffle was done not only with the Headhunters LP personnel - it was done without overdubs! Imagine the Headhunters album with only the basic tracks, Herbie on Rhodes and clavinet only, and you get the picture.

Mason is a genius at the drums - a very competent jazz drummer as well. The funky stuff sounds light and elegant, not heavy handed, when he plays it.

Guest akanalog

mason does sound light and elegant-

it is just a shame that he was around at such a bad time for the music in general.

i mean it was headhunters and then straight into the commercial glossy and disco-ey sounds of bob james and grover washington and wilbur longmire and whoever type stuff for the most part.

if he had come around a few years earlier he would also have more good music in his discography.

i mean heck, even steve gadd was in return to forever!

Guest akanalog

on most live versions i hear of chameleon, herbie spends a lot of time just making white noise during his solo spot rather than doing anything normal. why did he do this? was this his way of thumbing his nose at his hit and the commerciality of it all?

mason does sound light and elegant-

it is just a shame that he was around at such a bad time for the music in general.

i mean it was headhunters and then straight into the commercial glossy and disco-ey sounds of bob james and grover washington and wilbur longmire and whoever type stuff for the most part.

if he had come around a few years earlier he would also have more good music in his discography.

Yes indeed. I've always felt this is why Mason never recieved the props he was obviously due.

on most live versions i hear of chameleon, herbie spends a lot of time just making white noise during his solo spot rather than doing anything normal. why did he do this? was this his way of thumbing his nose at his hit and the commerciality of it all?

Yeah, I hate it... He does it on videos I've seen, on bootlegs I've heard and on "Flood". Maybe even he thought his solo on the original take was an untouchable masterpiece :P... well maybe not. But it's why I never listen to Chameleon on "Flood", I just skip it.

akanalog and Guy - did you download that 3CD live with 'Firewater' from Emule/similar Bittorrent? That's one of my favorite tunes, so it would definitely be cool to hear it played live.

Has anyone managed to find any live stuff from the band before Mwandishi? I think it was a sextet with some of the same guys as on "Prisoner" and "Fat Albert Rotunda". They were apparently playing stuff from those albums, in addition to earlier Herbie classics such as Maiden Voyage.

Guest akanalog

karis, they don't like it around here when you mention torrent sites by name....so sshshhh. the whole concept bothers some people on the board.

i have some stuff by what i guess is the mwandishi band pretty much but they are still playing older songs like "toys". no synths or pat gleeson in site on these ones. but then again they play "wandering spirit song" too, i think. so i guess it is mwandishi.

but i am thinking i have some live stuff with those guys that never gets electronic, it is just progressive sort of out at times jazz of the time (like the prisoner kind of material but played more loosely and out). there is a song titled "be what" which pops up a lot. i got to look over my notes and my discs to be sure. i will get back to you.