Warne Marsh Quartet

sheldonm

Picked up this release on Gambit at Dusty Groove yesterday although I'm sure some of it (or more) has probably seen the light of day at one time or another (but can't cofirm). Just spining it at this moment so can comment beyond nice sound quality and spirited playing by Warne. Quartet includes Sal Mosca, Eddie Gomez and Kenny Clarke. Two tunes include Sam Jones and Roy Haynes (1977) and another two tunes (1979) are a duet with Marsh/Mosca. Should have called it "Berlin1980, Bronxville, NY 1977/NY1979"

m~

yesterday got a copy of Warne Marsh- Sax of Kind Warne in Norway - Hot Club, LP.

Warne plus five Norwegians recorded in 1983. Some very good spots for Mr Marsh and decent (if slightly variable sound). Not how widely available this one was, would be surprised if it was on CD yet.

The Warne Marsh Berlin was issued a few years ago on a Japanese label (I'm at work, don't remember the label). It originated as a radio broadcast. The Sax of a Kind was issued on cd by Hot Club, it is no longer in print and commands high prices on Ebay when it makes a rare appearance. It is the same issue as the vinyl, no additional tracks.

The Berlin concert is an illegal release. Please don' t purchase it until its's re-released through more legal channels (if that ever happens.)

My more elaborate feelings -to put it mildly-on this matter were posted on a Marsh thread about a year and a half ago.

In lighter news, Happy New Year folks!!

Jp

p.s. Hi Chuck