AOTW January 15-21

ep1str0phy

Shit, if Lol Coxhill and Keith Bailey could be in the Brotherhood, might as well let anybody in! I think it was a repository for a lot of free musicians passing from one thing to another and trying out situations where their own concepts could more fully come to fruition. Windo is a pretty good example of that - think of how different it might have been had he stayed in Gong! Other instances, the BOB seemed like the apex of their experience - Skidmore didn't cut a whole lot of great records after he left the group, though his stuff before and during pretty well smokes. Then again, I always thought Osborne shone brighter outside the BOB than within it, so who knows...

The Tes Esat is a monster - Windo fucks it up big-time, about as balls-out a tenor solo as you're likely to hear. Shorter's fine, but Windo, Dyani and Rene Augustus are in top, top form. Plus, it's recorded very well.

I really need to get that 2CD set of Feza in Sweden from Ayler - it looks totally great. I believe it's mostly live recordings with Rosengren, Bengt Berger and the like. Do you have that?

Sel's record is supposedly being reissued by Downtown Music Gallery, though they appear to be botching it completely so who knows. I've been burning it for a lot of people lately, it seems, so PM me if you want a copy. It's pretty damn free, though if you're down with the America sides, it shouldn't come as a shock...

Edited by clifford_thornton

Having listened to "Travelling Somewhere" a couple of times now, I too can testify to its quality. It's just as explosive, ragged, and fun as the Oguns, but with marginally better sound quality (McGregor is indeed far to the back, although that classic SA sense of propulsion is tactile). The playing here is far looser than the Neon date, more liberally interpolating the sort of unhinged freedom common among the British scene of the 70's. There's some gorgeous solo work here, excellent ensemble interaction, and some of the most combustible rhythm work I've ever heard (Moholo is a f'in madman). I really, really enjoy the versions of "Kongi's Theme" and "Ismite is Might," both of which manage to positively transcend and, strangely, thrive within the sonic anomalies of the mix ("Ismite" has some powerful, powerful clutter). Still, all the cuts have something to recommend, and I might say that the version of "Do It" here is better than Willisau, although it suffers from an early fade. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see this band live--what a spectacle!

On other matters: anyone have anything to say about the Dedication Orchestra (a more recent big band assembled to play the tunes of the SA exiles)? Strangely, I purchased "Travelling There" and John Steven's "S.M.E. Big Band & Quintet" on the same day, both of which contain members of the DO (and both of which, I will stress, contain some phenomenal blowing).

Edit to ask--wasn't "Spirit's Rejoice" (the Moholo album) just reissued? I can't seem to track it down.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Yeah, it was reissued, but the LP is still available here and there too. I got it from Downtown Music Gallery for like $20 sealed (I think they keep some Oguns in stock). It's just "okay," a bit too clean-sounding for my tastes and not in the way that the Neon is clean. Just my two cents, though!

Downtown Music Gallery Website

That concert from Traveling Somewhere was floating around some of the online fileshares a while back, and you could get the complete version of "Do It" that way. I've seen it on some Euro-jazz live concert trees. Cuneiform faded it so they wouldn't have to split the disc into two, I think. I really should nab the tune one of these days, but for now the fade will do...

I'm just contemplating on why I never got around to buying this one back then .... First of all, a friend of mine had it, as well as others from South African musicians, and we had long listening sessions. Second, it was all over the radio - these probably were the reasons why I skipped it.

This was my introduction to S.A.Jazz - way before Abdullah Ibrahim. Their ensemble spirit still lingers in my memory.

Thanks--I'll look into it. On a related note (concerning one intrepid BOB member): I heard (the Bailey/Bennink/Evan Parker album) "Topography of the Lungs" is getting reissued. Any truth to this?

Yes, according to the Emanem website. The reissue will be on Psi.

http://www.emanemdisc.com/news.html

Hopefully "in preparation" means heading off to the presses soon and not just "we hope we are able to reissue it at some point in the vague future."

getting back on subject, somewhat...

I really like Mongezi Feza's album on Ayler, Free Jam.

I was not familiar with anyone on this disc before hearing this a few years back (including Feza)and I was very impressed. The first disc starts off a bit slowly, as if the musicians were testing the waters and trying to figure out what they were going to do, but it quickly picks up and some great jamming ensues. There are some flubs and weak spots here and there but, overall, this is a fantastic album. It was recorded in 1972, but could easily pass for something much more current. At points on the second disc Feza sounds quite a bit like Toshinori Kondo, in the way he distorts the sounds coming out of his trumpet.

Are any of you familiar with Dudu Pukwana's albums as a leader? AMG raves about one of them but they all seem to be oop.

getting back on subject, somewhat...

Are any of you familiar with Dudu Pukwana's albums as a leader? AMG raves about one of them but they all seem to be oop.

I'm a fan of "In the Townships," recorded in 1971 for Earthworks. To my knowledge, it is still in print--last time I checked, you could purchase it off of Amazon. It's not quite in the BOB vein, or even jazz per se--one might call it afropop--but the spirit present in Pukwana's best work is definitely present. Most of the cuts are built around fairly simple riffs, building into improvised melodic deocration. There's little "real" collective improv here as most of the ensemble work is either "combo backing soloist" or "soloist with overdubs." As simple as the tunes are, the energy is infectious. The band, by the way, features many BOB regulars (including Feza, Moholo, and Miller). As far as I can tell, Pukwana is the one playing the piano parts (overdubbing again).

On the matter of Feza--he reminds me of Lester Bowie, or--in his wilder moments--later Don Cherry. He's got a truly crumpled, malleable tone that is nonetheless very emotionally effective. I can't find the Ayler at a store, but I'm looking.

And this link: Give the Drummer Some features an old radio show with full performances. Someone is bound to be interested.

I've passed on those Dudu records - I think they were on Caroline or Virgin originally - seemed to steer a bit too clear from the improvisational or 'free' aspects for my taste, something that always imbued BOB or Blue Notes or their ilk quite strongly. But I could be missing out, for sure...

I suspected that the Feza on Ayler was necessary. Better hop to it - I think Cadence had copies not long ago, but I just find them irritating to deal with.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. This is music with which I have only passing familiarity, and I'm taking notes for future reference.

Speaking of Dudu, I recently picked up an old Impulse! 2-fer LP collection of Hugh Masakela's Blue Thumb sides, which are neither fish nor fowl in terms of any one genre or commercial targeting, but which nevertheless feature Pukwana rather prominently. It's interesting, to put it mildly, to hear his unique "syntax" in such a context.

And of course, there's Dyanni's epochal Song For Biko, with which the participants in this thread are no doubt intimately familiar. But Pukwana's playing sings on this session, and anybody who doesn't have it is urged to remedy that deficiency ASAP. It's one that I've found appeals "across the board" - even die-hard boppers find it damn near impossible to resist.

Again, thanks for a most interesting AOTW choice and subsequent discussion. I have done been learned!

And of course, there's Dyanni's epochal Song For Biko, with which the participants in this thread are no doubt intimately familiar. But Pukwana's playing sings on this session, and anybody who doesn't have it is urged to remedy that deficiency ASAP. It's one that I've found appeals "across the board" - even die-hard boppers find it damn near impossible to resist.

Seconded. Song for Biko is essential, imo.

All of Dyani's Steeplechase albums are fantastic. Dudu is also on Mbizo and Witchdoctor's Son, if I recall correctly.

It's been a long time since I listened to those records - thanks for the reminder! IIRC, Tchicai and Dudu are the team on at least one of those...

Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim is always kind of hit or miss - and apologies in advance for the diversion - but in addition to African Space Program, the duo with Dyani and Anatomy of a SA Village, all great records, I have buried somewhere a flyer for a Dollar Brand gig at NY's MoMA with Milford Graves, Walter Booker, Byard Lancaster and another horn player (can't remember who) in 1967 or '68. Pretty insane band, if you ask me...

Dyani is one of my favorite bass players, hands down. I'll repeat that African Bass (Red Records) is mind-blowing.

Speaking of Dudu, I recently picked up an old Impulse! 2-fer LP collection of Hugh Masakela's Blue Thumb sides, which are neither fish nor fowl in terms of any one genre or commercial targeting, but which nevertheless feature Pukwana rather prominently. It's interesting, to put it mildly, to hear his unique "syntax" in such a context.

I always enjoyed that album - it's one the few LPs I pull out with some regularity. I especially enjoy Caiphus Semenya's compositions on it, Larry Willis, but all play in good form, the grooves are nice - and yes, it's inspiring to hear Dudu in that context.

I always enjoyed that album - it's one the few LPs I pull out with some regularity. I especially enjoy Caiphus Semenya's compositions on it, Larry Willis, but all play in good form, the grooves are nice - and yes, it's inspiring to hear Dudu in that context.

Whoa, have the Masekela sides been reissued anywhere? All Dudu is good Dudu, and with Larry Willis?

I'm actually sort of embarassed to say that I don't own "Song for Biko," although I've always heard raves. I usually wait for things to show up at a local shop (within a reasonable price range), but I'm really, really tempted to spring for it this time.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Dudu and Hugh? Odd, but believable - I might be able to conceive of Dudu as sort of an Afro-pop version of Robin Kenyatta, sort of a parallel existence as free jazz hatchet-man and a crossover sensibility in spades. But then, I've skipped on Kenyatta's work after the ECM record, as well as a lot of Dudu's non-BOB-related work.

Just playing the disinterested card here, but I could be swayed the other direction with some mega props!

Whoa, have the Masekela sides been reissued anywhere? All Dudu is good Dudu, and with Larry Willis?

That Impulse twofer was the reissue - of a Blue Thumb double LP. It was never on CD AFAIK. I like it a lot, more starightahead than the BOB, but pure jazz, with some funky undertones - Makaya Htshoko at the drums keeps it jazz all the way.