Soulstation1

I was thinking of going all blues, and ended up going all reggae today:

Prince Douglas - Dub Roots

Prince Jammy - Destroys The Invaders

Augustus Pablo - In Fine Style

Augustus Pablo - Rockers Meet King Tubby In A Fire House

Dillinger - At King Tubby's

Scientist - Encounters Pac-Man At Channel One

Hmm, maybe a booster pack for a blues batch...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Noj, I've been on a blues jag, too. There's lots of good stuff on eMu.

Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Deborah Coleman (check her out), Luther Allison, Jimmy Dawkins ... to name a few.

I would even toss in the Jack Bruce/Robin Trower album - very bluesy.

Can't go wrong with Augustus Pablo. Make sure to get King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown if you don't have.

Scientist - Scientist Rids The World Of The Curse Of The Evil Vampires is also a good one.

sigh, no BB or CC cards to be had, I have 232 items in my saved for later list but I will never get to them. Not that I have time for everything I download as it is.

Hey, Noj, I've been on a blues jag, too. There's lots of good stuff on eMu.

Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Deborah Coleman (check her out), Luther Allison, Jimmy Dawkins ... to name a few.

I would even toss in the Jack Bruce/Robin Trower album - very bluesy.

Thanks for the recs, BF. I'm also planning on checking out that Steve Cropper disc.

Can't go wrong with Augustus Pablo. Make sure to get King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown if you don't have.

Scientist - Scientist Rids The World Of The Curse Of The Evil Vampires is also a good one.

Got those, WB3! There's so much great reggae on emusic!

Since last time (still working throught the Circuit City cards):

Yeah, ain't those CC cards nice? :g Heard they're now available at Best Buy as well.

Cool, Best Buy is much closer and I got the last one at Circuit City.

Dl's for this month:

Various Artists - Nigeria Special_ Modern Highlife, Afro-sounds & Nigerian Blues 1970-76

David Sanchez - Cultural Survival

Harold Land - West Coast Blues!

Eric Dolphy And Booker Little - At The Five Spot Volume 1 & 2

Pink Anderson - Carolina Blues Man Volume 1

Linval Thompson - Ride on Dreadlocks_ 1975-1977

51O3mJDdLJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51DX7iQ2YzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51alqZI%205nL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That Harold Land looks really nice.

Went by Best Buy yesterday. No one there had any idea what they were (the cards).

Adam, I know they had some the other day at the BB on Los Feliz. They're usually on the rack near the iTunes cards.

OK, I was in the one in Sherman Oaks, and checked the racks by the iTunes cards.

Edited by Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Dolphy - Far Cry

Booker Ervin - Thats It

Paul Bley - About Time

Jeremy Pelt - November

Brazilian Duos - Luciana Souza 

41yr3fR7xXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51NHiMZqfSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Snooks Eaglin - Thats All Right

John Lee Hooker - The Country Blues Of John Lee Hooker

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Paul Lewis - Beethoven: Sonates pour piano, vol.1

Simone Dinnerstein - The Berlin Concert

Well, I used up my downloads and am already jonesin' for more. I'll probably break down and buy a booster pack. Can't seem to find any of these cards at Best Buy though. Damn.

Anyway, I picked up

Amir ElSaffar Two Rivers -- much more a world music vibe but still good

Nairobe City Ensemble - KaBoum boum

Fantastic Frank Strozier

Here's Lee Morgan

Cecil Payne Chick Boom

Phil Woods - Woodlore

Phil Woods - Rights of Swing

Steve Roach - very very long ambient/electronica tracks

To help ease the wait until next month (or until I score a booster pack), I looked over the free tracks. There are definitely a lot there, though mostly in the indy music category. Probably the most interesting was a series of singles by The Postmarks.

Revolutionary Ensemble - The Psyche

Coleman Hawkins: 4 tracks with Monk from "Bean & The Boys" (Prestige): On The Bean, Recollections, Flyin' Hawk, Drifting on a Reed. CH, tenor; Monk, piano; Edward Robinson, bass; Denzil Best, drums. 10/19/44.

Oregon: 1000 Kilometers

Art Pepper: Living Legend

Arthur (not Art) Taylor - Taylor's Wailers

Warne Marsh - The Unissued Copenhagen Studio Session

Dorothy Donegan - Live in Copenhagen 1980

John Abercrombie and John Ruocco - Topics

Anthony Braxton - Trio & Duet

Hank Jones - Rockin' In Rhythm

A great batch from the ECMs that have just arrived on the UK version of e-music - 'Cloud Dance' (Collin Walcott), 'Oregon' (Oregon), 'Conception Vessel' (Paul Motion), 'Sargasso Sea' (Abercrombie and Towner), 'Bass Desires' (Marc Johnson), 'Northbound' (Iro Haarla), 'The Source' (The Source).

I do hope they add widely to the initial 23. A wonderful way to plug some gaps.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Lucky you, Bev - ECM is not available on US eMusic.

Only arrived last week - hopefully it will hit the US soon.

I really am puzzled by the economics of this. Those albums were all acquired within my normal monthly 100 quota and I still have 40 left. Cost = £19.99. I'd be paying £50+ using existing online stores.

Not that I'm complaining!

I really am puzzled by the economics of this. Those albums were all acquired within my normal monthly 100 quota and I still have 40 left. Cost = £19.99. I'd be paying £50+ using existing online stores.

Here's my guess as to the economics: the label is monetizing existing assets. You're right that each CD would cost X if you bought it in a store. But, besides the cost of manufacturing the CD and shipping it to the store, it's then going to sit there waiting for someone to buy it. It also has to be first bought by a retailer, in the hopes of reselling it at a profit. So the retailer has the risk of loss if it doesn't sell (this is just a simplified portrait; often, retailers can swap out non-moving items for others). If the retailer doesn't want to take that risk, he doesn't stock the CD, you can't buy it, and the label can't sell it.

With eMusic, there are no manufacturing costs, you're far more likely to download way more music than you'll ever have time to listen to (trust me, I know about this), and the label (and, hopefully, the artist) is earning revenue they would not have received otherwise. Because the issue isn't really the titles you would have paid for in the store, but the ones you wouldn't have (but are now downloading). Finally, the label receives a fairly steady stream of income.

Here's my guess as to the economics: the label is monetizing existing assets. You're right that each CD would cost X if you bought it in a store. But, besides the cost of manufacturing the CD and shipping it to the store, it's then going to sit there waiting for someone to buy it. It also has to be first bought by a retailer, in the hopes of reselling it at a profit. So the retailer has the risk of loss if it doesn't sell (this is just a simplified portrait; often, retailers can swap out non-moving items for others). If the retailer doesn't want to take that risk, he doesn't stock the CD, you can't buy it, and the label can't sell it.

With eMusic, there are no manufacturing costs, you're far more likely to download way more music than you'll ever have time to listen to (trust me, I know about this), and the label (and, hopefully, the artist) is earning revenue they would not have received otherwise. Because the issue isn't really the titles you would have paid for in the store, but the ones you wouldn't have (but are now downloading). Finally, the label receives a fairly steady stream of income.

Makes sense; thanks mjzee.

I can see it re: things that have been in the catalogue a while; and with less known labels.

It just seems strange to put these up ahead of a major series of budget priced reissues appearing on CD. I'd have thought they'd have waited a while.

Maybe the 'Touchstones' series is a sign that the back catalogue has been shifting slowly at full price. The reissue CDs and e-music uploads could be there to generate interest.

One odd thing - though quite normal for e-music - is that the name of the artist whose disc it is has been generated randomly. So 'Gnu High' is attributed to Dave Holland (alphabetically the first named performer?).

I've been loving me some emusic for a while now.

I just found my disc on there the other day. (I seriously didn't know that it was on there until my wife found it on a google search...)

so, find this one...

3c0cc060ada0eecc8732a110._AA240_.L.jpg

it's only 8 credits! what a bargain!

And it's a good one. Downloaded it there myself a few weeks ago. :tup

It was recently announced that the clearance "booster packs" from Circuit City will be expiring at the end of September - that is, you have to use the cards by then, after which you have 60 days to use the song credits. Apparently the cards bought at Best Buy are good until November, but it's not clear how to differentiate them.