Recent Down Loads And Additions From E - Music

Soulstation1

Don't know how widespread this is in world terms, but the Basho label just appeared on UK e-music.

http://www.emusic.com/browse/l/b/-dbm/a/0-...00312898/0.html

A small label connected with a unit that organises concerts and tours in the UK. Focus tends to be on slightly lefy of centre jazz - not totally free, nor the currently hip punk-jazz. Mainly original compositions.

People like Julian Arguelles, Mark Lockheart, Chris Laurence, Liam Noble etc.

I think this Anglo-American collaboration would travel well:

julian-siegal-lp.jpg

And this is one of my favourite discs of the Noughties. Recommended if you like carefully composed jazz with the soloing emerging organically from the composition:

moving%20air.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300x300.jpg300x300.jpg300x300.jpg300x300.jpg

Winter and Winter is starting to show up (at least in the U.S.). So far, I've only downloaded one, Charms of the Night Sky by Dave Douglas. Looking forward to listening to this later this evening.

I really like La Línea del Sur , the new release from master bassist Renaud Garcia-Fons. The featured soloists are accordionist David Venitucci and flamenco guitarist Kiko Ruiz. Esperanza Fernandez, a vocalist in the flamenco style, is featured on three selections. It took me a while to warm to her voice, but now am quite impressed. Very mysterious "world jazz" that spans several continents and eras.

I haven't had time to listen to Donny McCaslin's Declaration, but the samples are quite impressive as are the early reviews. I've followed his career for a while, but wasn't a big fan of his trio album, Recommended Tools that came out last year.

Jacques Loussier Plays Bach: The 50th Anniversary Recording was my "music to sleep by" selection last night. Quite lovely. Lousser's arrangement of "Sleepers Awake" stands out, but its all really good.

Edited by okierambler

300x300.jpg300x300.jpg

The Monterey Quartet Live at the 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival -- Only got to listen through once while driving around doing errands this afternoon. Very good first impression. "Minitaur" is the initial standout, but it all sounds good.

Duke Ellington's Piano in the Foreground has been on my want list for a while. Glad I finally got it.

The samples for Andy Sheppard's Nocturnal Tourist are very interesting. I think his latest, Movements in Colour is fantastic; so I'm looking forward to digging into this one later this evening.

Ravi Coltrane's Mad 6 is another one that's been on the list for a while, I may explore it after Andy Sheppard.

300x300.jpg300x300.jpg

Edited by okierambler

recent dl's:

The Monterey Quartet Live at the 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival

Visions of Dawn by Joyce

Glen Gould - Consort of Musicke by William Byrd & Orlando Gibbons; Sweelinck.

For those of you still on emusic, check your account today to see if you got free downloads for still sticking around.

Earlier this week, I sent an email to Winter & Winter Records asking when / if more of their catalog was going to be dropped on eMusic. I got this reply a couple of days ago:

Dear John,

Thank you for your message. Yes, we will be releasing majority of our catalogue online in the near future. Please keep your eyes on them!

Kind Regards,

Mariko Takahashi

--

Winter & Winter GmbH

Viktoriastrasse 28

D-80803 Muenchen

Germany

Tel: 0049/(0)89/38 66 50-0

Fax: 0049/(0)89/38 66 50-22

info@winterandwinter.com

http://www.winterandwinter.com

Edited by okierambler

AUGUST

KYLIE AULDIST – MADE OF STONE

ERIC DOLPHY – AT THE 5 SPOT

CHARLES MINGUS – MIGUS DYNASTY

THE STAPLE SINGERS – LET’S DO IT AGAIN (SINGLE)

SONNY STITT – LOW FLAME

EDDIE CLEANHEAD VINSON AND CANNONBALL – S/T

JOHN WRIGHT – SOUTHSIDE SOUL

VA – DON’T RUN OVER THE BIRDS, PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...

From the last two months including the free 50:

Weather Report - Sweetnighter

Charles Mingus - AH UM - 50th Anniversary (Legacy Edition)

Herbie Hancock - Flood

Sonny Rollins - Moving Out RVG

Lenny Breau & Brad Terry - Living Room Tapes

Glenn Gould -Berg - Krenek-Webern-Ravel-Debussy & Byrd, Gibbons Consort Musicke; Sweelinck Fantasia

Various Artists - Pressure Sounds - More Pressure, Vol. 1 Straight to the Head (great early roots reggae comp)

Edited by WorldB3

SEPTEMBER

THE CANDID JAZZ MASTERS – FOR MILES

GLORIA COLEMAN – SWEET MISSY

BETTY DAVIS – IS IT LOVE OR DESIRE

KENNY DREW – FOR SURE!

PAQUITO D’RIVERA – WHO’S SMOKING

THE DYNAMITES FEATURING CHARLES WALKER – BURN IT DOWN

RED GARLAND QUINTET – DIG IT! (RVG)

JACKIE McLEAN & BILL HARDMAN – JACKIE’S PAL

THELONIUS MONK – MONK (RVG)

MONTEREY JAZZ QUARTET – LIVE AT 2007 MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL

OUTKAST – ELEVATORS

JOHN WRIGHT – MR. SOUL

I've had my emusic account on hold for about 6 weeks now - from just days before they gave everyone else that loyalty bonus. :angry: Don't want to cancel it completely, especially after 8 years, but I'm just too overloaded with music from other sources these days. Heck, I just picked up around 100 actual CDs from a local record store sale for an average of .80/each.

Dave Douglas - Songs for Wandering Souls & The Tiny Bells Trio

Paul Motian & the E.B.B. - Holiday for Strings & The Flight of the Blue Jay

Uri Caine - Bedrock

Have you had a chance to listen to the Douglas titles? If you only had enough credits to DL one of the Dave Douglas titles, which would it be?