Mario Pavone

Tom in RI

Its no suprise anymore that when someone starts a thread seeking any type of recommendation or advice, or if they are promoting a piece of work or a live show that they feel is special, that more than half the time you will eventually chime in your negative opinion, even when nowhere in the thread title is your opinion being asked for. It would just be nice if you could save your negativity for the opinion threads, rather than pissing in every punch bowl that you possibly can.

well, it does ask what "you" (or I, in this case), recommend. Just trying to help. I figured you guys are tired of reading nothing but good reviews in all the standard jazz mags. Sometimes it helps to have a second opinion. You should not fear this - and I'm sure Mario would agree - if you want happy talk, you should be reading the fan mags -

Edited by AllenLowe

I prefer liquor in my punch bowl, so if anybody can provide that, maybe we'll all enjoy Pavone's playing a little better!

He's not the first person I think of in terms of contemporary bassist-composers (Barry Guy or Mark Dresser...), but he's still done some nice work. Shodo, which AFAIK is not on CD, is a very strong recording.

on behalf of Sal, let me say that you are welcome -

and I still don't like Dexter Gordon - but I do like children and small animals - and walks on the beach, and sunsets in the summer - the moon on a winter night, the sound of sea spray in the wind - and the smell of napalm in the morning -

Edited by AllenLowe