Info on new RVG's and Conn's

hutch head

Have you ever checked out the Jazzmatazz website that's run by one of our boardmembers? There's lots of good info about jazz releases - upcoming, new and recent - as well as reviews and more. Here's the link:

Jazzmatazz

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I wonder why Blue Note puts out "Blue Train" on a hybrid SACD (available since june) and then again on CD. I suppose the remastering of the CD is the same as on the CD layer of the SACD.

Just a pricing reason?

I'm looking forward to the other reissues. I hope Rudy hasn't messed them up too much ;)

Edited by Claude

I wonder why Blue Note puts out "Blue Train" on a hybrid SACD (available since june) and then again on CD. I suppose the remastering of the CD is the same as on the CD layer of the SACD.

Just a pricing reason?

I'm looking forward to the other reissues. I hope Rudy hasn't messed them up too much ;)

How many versions of "Blue Train" will be issued before the tape disinegrates. :rolleyes: I think I will just stick with "The Ultimate" and believe that there was truth in advertising. Seems like BN could RVG another title that is as yet unavailable.

I was looking at the jazzmatazz site last night and noticed that the Blue Train and Our Man in Paris RVGs coming out next week include alternate takes. Hadn't noticed this before. Have these been out before? I've owned the MFSL and the JRVG of Blue Train and no alternates there. Also, the Dex box doesn't have any alternate takes for Our Man in Paris. I was going to skip over these but I'll pick them up now for sure next week.

The alternates on Our Man in Paris aren't actually alternates, but bonus tracks ("Our Love is Here to Stay" and the minus-Dex trio version of "Like Someone in Love"), which were on the 1987 compact disc. Now, unless someone at Blue Note has discovered something new, I think this is the case!

Is "Like Someone in Love" on the Dexter box? I don't suppose it would be, but I like when tunes without the leader, but still from the same session, are included in "complete" sets. For this reason, I wish that Sonny Rollins' Freedom Suite would finally be reissued in total — including the minus-Newk duo of Roach and Pettiford on "There Will Never Be Another You" (which was, admittedly, reissued on Deeds, Not Words).

One of these tunes is not on the Dex box because the discography makes a point about that. Unfortunately, I can't remember which right now. An online discography, Our Man in Paris, indicates that Our Love is Here to Stay is on Blue Note BT 84430. I assume that's a Dex-less song as well and that both of these song are under Bud's leadership. I assume we'll find out the answer in a week.

Jim is correct. Our Love Is Here To Stay is on the Dex Box. Like Someone In Love is not.

The Dex box notes that "at the conclusion of the session, Bud Powell recorded a trio version of Like Someone In Love, which is not included here" (in the box)

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Trust me, I'm happy :rsmile: Just trying to figure this out and thank you Ed for helping me with my faulty memory. Now, this gets back to the basic question. There are 2 alternates on the forthcoming RVG. One may be Someone in Love and the other is ____. Any ideas?