A Specific Question about a B.B. album

Dan Gould

Anyone familiar with this one?

AMG puts it out at the same time as Live at the Regal, which makes me wonder whether those brothers were trying to take advantage of that album's success by putting out their own live album ... but is this legit live or did they add applause to their studio takes?

Anyone know this one?

Thanks!

Correction...I AM 100% positive.

I went to the collection and LO AND BEHOLD - it was there (although I have it on KENT). I played the first minute of the first track. Definitiely phony Live...and HORRIBLE phony stereo too. Kind of funny - they have a phony announcer introduce BB.

I suspect I did the same thing 30 years ago. Played the first minute and put it away - the record looks MINT !

Thanks a lot, Harold. Even at $6 I don't need fake live B.B. :D

Guess I was right that the Biharis were trying to cash in on the Live at the Regal album. Not much of a mystery why.

What is a mystery is why AMG would give it 4 1/2 stars! No review, but 4 1/2 stars is the rating. If 3 stars is the default, how the heck could it be a fake live set with bad phony stereo and get 4.5 stars? Did someone really listen to this and give it that rating? :wacko:

The Bihari Bros - Gotta love 'em.

Actually, I don't mind this; it's one of only 2 I've got so far from his Bihari period. The audience, though fake, is very good. If you're going to overdub an audience, at least let it be noisy and wild, which this is. It's much better than the fake audiences on most James Brown studio recordings.

MG

Yeah, but these are old performances in new clothes, with no interaction between B.B. and the audience. Just doesn't sound worthwhile to me.

Absolutely right, it's not worth buying now.

But 40 years ago, it was VERY difficult to pick up BB King records in England and we had to take what we could find. :)

Yeah, but these are old performances in new clothes, with no interaction between B.B. and the audience. Just doesn't sound worthwhile to me.

Absolutely right, it's not worth buying now.

But 40 years ago, it was VERY difficult to pick up BB King records in England and we had to take what we could find. :)

Too true. Even in the early '80s B B King Bihari material wasn't all that common over here. Ace had only just started up. And, much as I love B B King, there are about a hundred people I love more, so completing a collection has had to wait.

MG