Manipulated video of Wes

birdanddizzy

Oh man... that was funny! I'd like to see the real video clip. What's it from?

I suppose it comes from a VHS titled "Wes Montgomery - Belgium, 1965"

B00000ICCN.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's only 25 minutes long. During their 1965 European tour Wes' quartet filmed five songs for the RTBF (Belgian television).

It also exists on DVD on "Legends of Jazz Guitar Volume One".

No, seriously, I haven't heard Helge on guitar yet, but he has recorded a jazz album where he plays all the instruments, on which some saxophone solos sound close to that fake Wes solo.

http://jazz.discogs.com/release/395241

But the fact that his name is in the properties of the movie file doesn't mean he must have something to do with it. It could he been made by a Helge fan.

Edited by Claude

No, seriously, I haven't heard Helge on guitar yet, but he has recorded a jazz album where he plays all the instruments, on which some saxophone solos sound close to that fake Wes solo.

http://jazz.discogs.com/release/395241

But the fact that his name is in the properties of the movie file doesn't mean he must have something to do with it. It could he been made by a Helge fan.

Yes, some very funny tenor stuff on that album, much like Shepp's version of Girl From Ipanema (Fire Music)

Whether it's him or not will likely remain a mystery, but at least it made me pull out my Helge jazz discs again!

Here's Softly...

The audio of the real Belgian TV performances--and others from that tour--are also now available on this Gambit CD:

B000BPN268.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

As you can tell from the clip Jim found on youtube.com, the sound is pretty good. Now, if you want an audio recording of the video that started this thread, you have to get the hard-to-find CD "Wes Montgomery Plays Free Jazz," which was issued for a very brief time only in Albania.

The audio of the real Belgian TV performances--and others from that tour--are also now available on this Gambit CD:

Is the video available in full? How many tunes did they do?

Wes Montgomery Quartet

Harold Mabern (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Arthur Harper (b) Jimmy Lovelace (d)

TV broadcast, 'Jazz Prisma', Universal Studio, Brussels, Belgium, March, 1965

Impressions

Twisted Blues

Here's That Rainy Day (There's That Rainy Day)

Jingles

The Girl Next Door (The Boy Next Door)

Wes Montgomery Discography

All 5 of these tracks are on the currently available Gambit CD. That CD also contains the following 5 tunes performed by the same group on a television show in London in March 1965:

Yesterdays

Full House

'Round Midnight

Twisted Blues

Jingles

and the following 4 tunes performed by Wes with Martial Solal (p), Michel Gaudry (b), Ronnie Stephenson (d), and Johnny Griffin (ts, on last tune only) on a television show in Hamburg, Germany in April 1965:

Here's That Rainy Day

Four on Six

Twisted Blues

Blue Monk

It's a very nice CD. I don't know anything about the video.

Speaking of that European tour by Wes, the best currently available recording from it is the "Complete Live in Paris" on Definitive:

B00008HAU8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is 2 CDs worth of a concert in Paris in March 1965, also with Mabern, Harper, Lovelace, and Griffin. Great sound and, IMO, some of the best--if not the best--live Wes available. If you're a Wes fan at all, you HAVE to get this if you don't already have it.

The Belgium concert was released on VHS:

belgium.jpg

WES MONTGOMERY QUARTET

Wes Montgomery(g) Harold Mabern(p) Arthur Harper(b) Jimmy Lovelace(dr)

TV'Cast, "JAZZ PRISMA", Universal Studio, Brussels, Belgium; Mar.1965

Impressions [3:30]

Twisted Blues [5:25]

There's That Rainy Day Here's That Rainy Day [7:10]

Jingles [3:56]

The Boy Next Door The Girl Next Door [3:50]

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/wes.fan/club/right/verve/verve_b1.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...944744?v=glance

Edited by Claude