Sam Most

wigwise

He made some great recordings for Bethlehem in the 50's and Xanadu in the 70's. Charles Mingus called him "The World's Greatest Jazz Flutist". He has always had the respect of his peers, but is not well known.

I was just curious what people think of him and his playing. He's still around today and plays at various clubs around Los Angeles. Recently he played on Terry Gibb's "52ND & BROADWAY: SONGS OF THE BEBOP ERA".

Edited by wigwise

I like Most quite a bit -- those Xanadu albums in particular all have fine rhythm sections that Most really locks into -- but at times there's a little voice in my head that somewhat inarticulately has doubts about one aspect of how he plays. The nearest I can come to explaining it is that unlike most flute players, not to mention players of other wind instruments, Sam gives me the feeling that -- conceptually at least, though perhaps not in terms of actual execution -- he isn't "blowing" but is instead almost whistling.

conceptually at least, though perhaps not in terms of actual execution -- he isn't "blowing" but is instead almost whistling.

That's an interesting observation Larry. What he actually does is more like humming (he has a tune called "The Humming Blues" on his Xanadu release titled "Flute Flight"). This technique came about at an early age as a result of, as Sam says, "trying not to make too much noise" while practicing in his parents house.

Sam can scat and sing pretty well too. Not to mention his command of the clarinet, tenor, alto and baritone saxophones.

Edited by wigwise

Yes, I remember that track from "Flute Flight," and what he does in general is more like humming or a kind of scat-singing than like whistling. What bothers me a bit sometimes is that it seems like what he does is conceived more or less apart from the instrument and then laid on top of it. On the other hand, he sure has an agile, hip musical imagination.

conceptually at least, though perhaps not in terms of actual execution -- he isn't "blowing" but is instead almost whistling.

That's an interesting observation Larry. What he actually does is more like humming (he has a tune called "The Humming Blues" on his Xanadu release titled "Flute Flight"). This technique came about at an early age as a result of, as Sam says, "trying not to make too much noise" while practicing in his parents house.

Sam can scat and sing pretty well too. Not to mention his command of the clarinet, tenor, alto and baritone saxophones.

This is an interesting observation ... in fact, Sam Most was the originator of the "vocalization" technique later used by Sahib Shihab, Jeremy Steig, and Yusef Lateef. When I was doing my radio show and mentioned this fact, I was "attacked" by a large number of my listeners, who were usually very friendly. I believe that the discographical record (no pun intended) will back me up, however.

Sam is recently featured very prominently on a lovely album by bassist Paul Gormley, "DROP ME OFF IN HARLEM: The music of Duke Ellington orchestra" on Talking Dog Music. (Also with Larry Koonse on guitar, and Paul Kriebich on drums). Highly recommended.

I should also add that he plays some wonderful early Guiffre-like clarinet on this album.

Edited by garthsj

0075.jpg

:tup

That one is really good! Sam Most plays clarinet, not flute here. Very interesting sextet date (with Doug Mettome, Davey Schildkraut, Bob Dorough, Tommy Potter, Paul Motian) plus large ensemble date (with Frank Rehak, Dick Meldonian and others added, also Pettiford replacing Potter) all playing Bob Dorough's arrangements of tunes like 'Strictly Confidential', 'Serpent's Tooth', 'Confirmation', etc..

Fresh Sound reissued this during their vinyl days!

On his web site (which I manage), I've assembled his complete discography as a leader (for those interested). It's a pity; he has a number of tracks (at least 2-3 albums worth) that he recorded with Carl Saunders, playing a variety of instruments, which will probably never see the light of day. In the last year or so, he also did some things with Daniel May, who knows what will happen to that. I spoke with him yesterday and he told me that Bob Dorough called him a few weeks back asking for permission to use his name on a reissue of recordings they did many years ago.

http://www.sammost.com

He made some great recordings for Bethlehem in the 50's and Xanadu in the 70's. Charles Mingus called him "The World's Greatest Jazz Flutist". He has always had the respect of his peers, but is not well known.

I was just curious what people think of him and his playing. He's still around today and plays at various clubs around Los Angeles. Recently he played on Terry Gibb's "52ND & BROADWAY: SONGS OF THE BEBOP ERA".

so where can we get his cds?

:)

so where can we get his cds?

:)

Good question. Here's the aforementioned CD with Bob Dorough:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001YNKH...5Fencoding=UTF8

A few of the Bethlehem recordings (“Musically Yours” & “Sam Most Plays Bird Bud Miles and Monk”) are available on Amazon and CD Universe.

As for the Xanadu stuff, forget about it. From what I've been told, Don Schlitten currently has no plans to reissue them. Who knows what the future may hold...

Here is a CD Sam did with Richard Simon:

http://www.ufo-bass.com/cd.htm

Edited by wigwise