How's your local jazz scene???

Rooster,

I'm curious if your rejection of most of the KC jazz scene, does this include a sax player named Jim Mair? Or have you not caught this guy?

I ask because I just acquired his debut CD, self-produced, from the early '90s. I got it because its the final recording by Carmell Jones, but Mair impresses and I would expect that his playing is even better by now.

Afraid I haven't heard (nor even heard of) a "Jim Mair". Not sure if he's still on the KC scene or not. I first moved here in the Fall of 1994, and our time in Kansas City may not have overlapped. I'll check around, and see if he's still playing.

"Free For All" - You ever heard of "Jim Mair"???

Was he a tenor player, or alto???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can add is that I know Jim, he's still around KC. I haven't heard his CD (I am impressed he was able to get Carmell Jones, though) and I'm not really aware that he plays around town a lot. So Dan, you say his CD is happening, huh?

Rooster, what's this about your "rejection of most of the KC jazz scene"? B) I don't think this kind of attitude will get your picture on the cover of the KC Chamber of Commerce Annual.

He plays tenor, alto and soprano-in fact he's quoted in the liners as feeling that switching instruments keeps the audience "into it". Anyway, a solid, fairly wide-ranging effort (though I could do without the one "contempo" tune.) Not Earth shattering, believe me, but worth hearing, and not only because it was Carmell's last recording.