Stand Alone Hard Drives

seriously lookin' into one of these

i don't know much about them

it's seems like a great way to store my E-Music stuff and free up some space and clutter

maybe i might be better off with a dvd burner?

i don't really want any extra dvdr discs of stuff that i've already burned to cdr

thanks

Edited by Soulstation1

I've used a Maxtor 150g for over a year with no problems. I use it exclusively for backups at this point, but I did use it to store my excessive flac files from dimeadozen until I bought a second internal hard drive.

The second internal hard drive gives a bit faster access to data since it doesn't go through the USB, but the external is certainly a viable alternative. More expensive per gig than the internal drive, though.

I've got a couple of internal hard drives which I connect via an external hard drive enclosure (you can get them for 5,25", 3,5" drives etc.). I think this is the cheapest way to go.

Search for "Icy Box" for example. Note that I haven't looked into this issue in some time so there might be better solutions available now.

I JUST hooked up a 200 GB Maxtor that I picked up today at Office Depot. They have a big rebate on it ($100 after a $50 mail-in). With the USB connection it won't be the quickest, but it works for me. Good place to keep all those emusic downloads, eh?

The Maxtors are nice. So are the Seagates. Stay away from Western Digital or anything that uses Western Digital harddrives in the enclosure (such as Acomdata). I believe the Lacie's use Seagate. Those are nice as well.

Jim, do you speak of the Western Digital (Acomdata) drives from personal experience, or from reviews? I only ask because the local high-end studio here uses Acomdata, and they recommended one to me to store files from my sessions there. Should I be worried?!?

The Maxtors are nice. So are the Seagates. Stay away from Western Digital or anything that uses Western Digital harddrives in the enclosure (such as Acomdata). I believe the Lacie's use Seagate. Those are nice as well.

Jim, do you speak of the Western Digital (Acomdata) drives from personal experience, or from reviews? I only ask because the local high-end studio here uses Acomdata, and they recommended one to me to store files from my sessions there. Should I be worried?!?

I speak from experience, as I related in this post:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...ndpost&p=460428

If I were a high-end studio, I'd be using Lacie or G-Raids (in fact, the G-Raids are very very nice). But I'm not a high-end studio... I'm cheap! :)

I have a 120GB external drive (sorry, can't tell what label, but I think Maxtor) and it crashed with 100GB of music on it (FLACs, so the loss was ca. 120-150 CDs, but most of it irreplaceable). So the best advice would be: get two drives of the same size and make sure to copy all put on one onto the other... not that I do it, but that's because I'm not willing to buy another drive that breaks down... (it was three months old when it happened, I got it replaced within about three weeks, but of course not even an attempt was made at restoring any data... and the box the drive's in was badly scratched by the screwdrivers those idiots used to open it).

Using a single harddrive as the only backup option is not very smart, imo. Much better to either use high-density tape, DVDs (dual-layer discs can hold up to 8.5gb these days) which are very inexpensive, a RAID array (ie, multiple harddiscs in a redundant array), or something like the Iomega REV drive, which uses removable discs that hold up to 35gb of info per disc.

Again, if the data is important, then it's worth spending the money to protect. Harddrives are notoriously unstable and will die at a moment's notice. Or sometimes they'll last for years and years and years. You never know, and that's why it's dangerous to trust them.