Amina Claudine Myers

Alexander Hawkins

Sugar Bowl, the Bessie, and Mother E are fine recordings - but I'd give (something that looked like) my left nut for a tape of her and Gerald Donovan's nights at the Hungry Eye (Chicago, late '60s - near the Plugged Nickel). They ran an open set. Gene Dinwiddie was the normal sax player, but Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Maurice McIntyre, etc used to sit in regularly.

On top of everything, she's a very fine lady.

One of my favorites. You can't go wrong with any of these recommendations. You might also check out two Black Saint sessions, though: THE FIFTH POWER, a recording of a live gig with Lester Bowie, Arthur Blythe, Malachi Favors, and Philip Wilson; and THE CIRCLE OF TIME, a trio date with Don Pate and Thurman Barker, which has one of my favorite Amina performances on it, "Plowed Fields".

c35948rux7p.jpg

c45765v39v0.jpg

John Litweiler has given high praise to her solo piano album of Marion Brown pieces -- POEMS FOR PIANO -- but I've never seen a copy, much less heard the session. Any further comments?

Rumor is gigs from her European tour with Von Freeman from 2001 / 2002 were recorded. I hope those see the light of day!

Her two Novus things might still be available in deeper cutout bins. Don't bother unless you want to hear slick, pop crossover attempts.

Actually the first one, AMINA, is not too bad for what it is attempting to be, but neither album are worthy of her greater talents.

• 1 year later...

Well, I've managed to pick up 'The Fifth Power'.

This is a great record! I'm really enjoying everyone's playing on it. I really like what they do to the spiritual.

Having been sidetracked after asking the initial question in this thread, I never did get around to 'Salutes Bessie Smith'. I intend to rectify that online, and now! I'm really looking forwards to it. I still listen to the Muhal record lots.

She's got a really great voice, too.

Are there any in print CDs of her playing organ?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I can't get enough of the Bessie Smith record. Cecil McBee and Jimmy Lovelace are great in support as well - unobtrusive, but rock solid.

I agree a nice cd.

I've caught her live, certainly once with Arthur Blythe and once with Lester Bowie, maybe another but my memory fails me. Always delightful whether on organ piano or singing.

I'm back, thanks to assistance from Jim A.

About what Chuck says below, at about the time he mentions, I caught Myers and Donovan at a bar on Stony Island Ave. one night when Roscoe and Maurice were sitting in, and the band was asked to play (for the usual reason) "Happy Birthday." Damned if they didn't play right ON it beautifully and very seriously, though not without humor (more or less taking "HB" apart and putting it back together) for about 20 minutes, maybe more. Perhaps Chuck was there.

Larry Kart

Sugar Bowl, the Bessie, and Mother E are fine recordings - but I'd give (something that looked like) my left nut for a tape of her and Gerald Donovan's nights at the Hungry Eye (Chicago, late '60s - near the Plugged Nickel). They ran an open set. Gene Dinwiddie was the normal sax player, but Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Maurice McIntyre, etc used to sit in regularly.

I'm back, thanks to assistance from Jim A.

About what Chuck says below, at about the time he mentions, I caught Myers and Donovan at a bar on Stony Island Ave. one night when Roscoe and Maurice were sitting in, and the band was asked to play (for the usual reason) "Happy Birthday." Damned if they didn't play right ON it beautifully and very seriously, though not without humor (more or less taking "HB" apart and putting it back together) for about 20 minutes, maybe more. Perhaps Chuck was there.

Larry Kart

It'd be great to hear something like this! I enjoy a lot that track with Maurice McIntyre and Lester Lashley on George Freeman's 'Birthsign'. I wonder, are there any more extensive documents of this type of playing?