** Fresh Air thread **

BFrank

I enjoy Terry quite a bit, but someonething about her style often rankles me. She seems to allow to much space at times and just assumes the interviewee will fill it up. This is especially true with some people who clearly dont prefer to talk ad nauseum, like the Motian interview. Way too many pauses, and way too many 'uh...yeah..can you keep talking about that...) Plus, quite often her lack of knowledge gets her when she is asking very in depth questions. I enjoy the questions, but she doesnt repond to answers very well.

Again, dont get me wrong, I listen to her show all the time and think its great. But I think she gets way too much credit for the show, when its usually the quality of guests that makes the show so good.

She and Robin Young have a very similar, sort of, uh uh, sort of, cadence, involving a lot of, sort of, stuttering. In fact, it seems that Talk of the Nation also runs along the same speach pattern. At times, it feels like they are trying to make their questions seem more, sort of, um, of the moment by interpreting them with a more real time speach, which includes the stutters and the uh uh "ums".

I listen every chance I get, because I am in the car A LOT during the day. Sometimes the quasi-thoughtful stuttering gets on my nerves though.

I enjoyed the Motian interview. He seems like a fun guy. Did you notice early on in the interview, she referred to LaFaro as "the now-deceased"? It seemed to imply that he was recently deceased. She seemed well-informed though. Later in the interview, she directly addressed LaFaro's death. She more or less had her facts straight. I just though that was an odd phrase.

I recently went to the NPR site to see what she looked like. After all these years of listening, I had an image in my head. Until I saw her picture, I had a completely different person in mind!

Did you notice early on in the interview, she referred to LaFaro as "the now-deceased"? It seemed to imply that he was recently deceased. She seemed well-informed though. Later in the interview, she directly addressed LaFaro's death. She more or less had her facts straight. I just though that was an odd phrase.

I recently went to the NPR site to see what she looked like. After all these years of listening, I had an image in my head. Until I saw her picture, I had a completely different person in mind!

That "now-deceased" struck me as odd, also, when referring to someone who died 45 years ago. But on further reflection, I think she meant it as now as opposed to then, when they performed at the Vanguard. Of course, it goes without saying that LaFaro wasn't deceased at the time Motian performed with him, so her phrasing was a bit awkward. What she probably should have said was "soon-to-be-deceased".

BTW, on the subject of her appearance: she and the show are based here in Philly, and in a recent local interview she said that people sometimes assume that she's a lesbian because of her extremely short hair. She seems to find that somewhat amusing because, in fact, she's not (and is married, I believe).

BTW, on the subject of her appearance: she and the show are based here in Philly, and in a recent local interview she said that people sometimes assume that she's a lesbian because of her extremely short hair. She seems to find that somewhat amusing because, in fact, she's not (and is married, I believe).

In the early 1990s, a male acquaintance of mine told me that he had been in love for years with Terry's voice, then saw her on a PBS pledge drive and was disturbed by what he called her "scary political haircut."

She's married to Francis Davis.

Funny that both of their names are gender neutral. And I'm not trying to imply anything here: in fact, I'm a fan of both of them.

I enjoyed the Motian interview. And I think that the Kevin Whitehead segments are some of the best things on radio.

Edited by Kalo