Dave Douglas - Meaning and Mystery

Aggie87

Dave Douglas has another new released slated for 11 April, on greenleafmusic.com. It's called "Meaning and Mystery", and features Donny McCaslin on tenor saxophone, Uri Caine on fender rhodes, James Genus on bass, and Clarence Penn on drums :

Meaning and Mystery is the third album from the Dave Douglas Quintet and first for the Greenleaf Music label. It follows 2004's critically-acclaimed Strange Liberation and 2002's Grammy-nominated The Infinite in building upon, and establishing Douglas' version of a modern living jazz quintet music. Inspired by Miles Davis, the current work of the Wayne Shorter Quartet as well as more obscure groups such as those led by Julius Hemphill and Baikida Carroll to name a few, the album's nine dynamic Douglas compositions reflect Douglas' fasciation with the worlds of poetry, visual arts, architecture, dance and film. Except for tenor saxophonist Donny McCaslin, who joined the quintet in 2005, each member of the group has played with Douglas for an extended period of time. Uri Caine (Fender Rhodes) has been with Douglas for fifteen years, bassist James Genus for over ten years and drummer Clarence Penn for over six years. Each group member is a master musician with a clear and distinctive voice; Douglas wouldn't have it any other way. "I like to hear individual expression, even in a group setting," says Douglas. "I tried to write songs that could be approached with - that invite - personality, expressiveness, immediacy." With Meaning and Mystery, he has accomplished this goal and delivered an album of astonishing virtuosity and artistic vision.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm curious if anyone has had the opportunity to hear this yet. A couple of tracks are available here, and they sound intriguing (i've really been digging the sound of the fender lately, for some reason)

meaningandmystery

The only CD I have of Douglas is the chamber jazz stuff ("Charms...' with the accordian), and it leaves me really cold. The quintet though, with Clarence Penn, looks a lot more interesting.

I'm curious if anyone has had the opportunity to hear this yet. A couple of tracks are available here, and they sound intriguing (i've really been digging the sound of the fender lately, for some reason)

meaningandmystery

The only CD I have of Douglas is the chamber jazz stuff ("Charms...' with the accordian), and it leaves me really cold. The quintet though, with Clarence Penn, looks a lot more interesting.

I've been playing my copy for about a week now and am really enjoying it. It's nothing like his 'chamber music jazz' - although I must say I like that too! It's more funky with the horns playing over a great fender/bass/drums rythmn section. Dave is on top form and Donny McCaslin on tenor fits in very well with his latest group.

I find that it's almost impossible to pigeonhole Dave - every one of his groups is different and often CDs by the same group are very different. However I always find his music interesting and keep on buying it, so he must be doing something right!

Im a big fan or Chris Potter in this group, in his absence a big deal? Im not familiar with McCaslin at all though.

I was also quite underwhelmed by Strange Liberation, although I found the Infinite to be a damn near masterpiece.

To my ears Donny McCaslin sounds very much like Chris Potter, so I don't think Potter's absence is a problem.

BTW here's a decent review from 'that other jazz bullettin board':

Review of Dave Douglas - Meaning and Mystery

Edited by Head Man

meaningandmystery

I guess it hasn't come out in the US yet. CD Universe has the release date as May 15, and it's not mentioned on Douglas's own website...

I've heard it.

I agree with the thought that The Infinite was a masterpiece. That album is a bitch from first track to last.

Strange Liberation wasn't as fiery, but it was quite cool, and "Seventeen" is a baaaaaad mutha.

Meaning and Mystery is very cool. It's definitely a lot more esoteric than either of those two, and if you like that kind of thing, it's very hip.

it gets a thumbs up from me.

...and establishing Douglas' version of a modern living jazz quintet music.

At first glance, I read this as "modern living room jazz music."

:blink:

:g

And I thought it said that this was the follow-up to "Strange LIBRARIAN"....

(Hmm... actually, I like that title better...)

• 11 months later...

This is a fun record, kinda "retro early 70s" but with spirit, not idolatry.

McCaslin is a player I first heard w/Monday Michiru, and then on one of his own dates, and finally here. He reminds me of late-60's/very early 70's Eddie Daniels, and I mean that as a compliment. He ain't particularly deep, but he sure as hell can be fun. Here's hoping that he doesn't end up screwing up.

This is a fun record, kinda "retro early 70s" but with spirit, not idolatry.

McCaslin is a player I first heard w/Monday Michiru, and then on one of his own dates, and finally here. He reminds me of late-60's/very early 70's Eddie Daniels, and I mean that as a compliment. He ain't particularly deep, but he sure as hell can be fun. Here's hoping that he doesn't end up screwing up.

'with spirit, not idolatry'--that says it exactly.

I'm really enjoying this CD a lot. It's taken awhile, but I'm starting to catch on to Douglas. If this is still available at yourmusic, I'd highly recommend it.

Still available.

This one has a Filles de Kilamanjaro feel in prominent places. . . to me.

i am sympathetic to what most jazz players are doing and relate to most of it at at some level, but dave douglas leaves me cold. he is a fine musician, and i'm sure a great guy, but his music leaves me cold.

That's not my feeling (but that's just me).

IMHO Douglas has provided numerous "highlights" to my listening over the last several years.

Different strokes I guess.

i am sympathetic to what most jazz players are doing and relate to most of it at at some level, but dave douglas leaves me cold. he is a fine musician, and i'm sure a great guy, but his music leaves me cold.

That's not my feeling (but that's just me).

IMHO Douglas has provided numerous "highlights" to my listening over the last several years.

Different strokes I guess.

i am most supportive of greenleaf records which douglas founded, and have purchased by download 2 greenleaf albums(not by dave) this past month.

Douglas is one of those players whose music I think I should like but whose work, so far, does little for me. Of course, I met him a few years ago and didn't like him, so I don't know how much that has influenced my opinion (he's quite full of himself). On the other hand, I've gone back to some cds and tried to steel myself away from worrying about personality, and it still hasn't helped. Anyone else feel the same? Larry Kart. are you out there? Wondering about your impressions -

Douglas is one of those players whose music I think I should like but whose work, so far, does little for me. Of course, I met him a few years ago and didn't like him, so I don't know how much that has influenced my opinion (he's quite full of himself). On the other hand, I've gone back to some cds and tried to steel myself away from worrying about personality, and it still hasn't helped. Anyone else feel the same? Larry Kart. are you out there? Wondering about your impressions -

too gimmicky?

I don't get him - which doesn't mean anything, one way or another. I did see him in concert with Zorn a few years ago and he had this solo slot which was absolutely burning. I could well see how he would be full of himself on the back of things like that. I mean the whole thing conveyed "this is The Man, he is it, he is now" kind of vibes. But then he didn't do much for the rest of the concert.

So, I don't know...

Kind of lacks the tragic element; a bit hermetic - overfinishedly technical - for my taste.

But it's a style issue.

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

I don't mind the gimmicks, per se, if the music works - I just found a disconnect between the sound of his playing and the things he was playing, if that makes any sense, a lack of feeling. A smugness that matched his personality (I heard him first and THAN met him at a reception when he played with Roswell Rudd at Harvard a few years back so at least the musical judgment came before the personal) -

Edited by AllenLowe

I think "disconnect" is the word, but I'm never quite sure whether it's in me or in him. I think there probably is feeling in there, but somehow it seems to inform his work rather than speak from it. I kind of think he really needs a big shock and then we'd really hear what he has to say.

I guess "smug" would fit with that.

Or else...

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

well, to paraphrase Jimmy Swaggart, I am glad I am not alone. The jazz thing is funny; I've met a lot of great musicians over the years, and when I truly found them un-likeable it made it very difficult to listen to their music objectively. The other way around, too - if I meet a muscian whose playing I did not previously like, but like that musician personally, I often lose objectivity.

of course, the most evil musician I ever met was Sonny Stitt; I still like his playing, but that may be because his craziness was non-personal, he was just crazy - after all, I still listen to my Jeffrey Dahmer records -

Edited by AllenLowe