Karrin Allyson - Footprints

GA Russell

Karrin Allyson has a new album coming out called Footprints that I'm planning to get. I thought that it would be coming out this Tuesday March 28. But I see at the CDU site that it has been delayed till April 18.

I first heard of her in '97, when I was given a promo copy of her album Daydream. At the time, I liked her voice better than I liked the album. Since then, the album has grown on me, and I still listen to it every once in a while.

The only album of hers which has received rave reviews that I know of is Ballads from a couple of years ago, which I believe is made up of the same songs as the Coltrane album of the same name.

Listening to Daydream the other day, it occurred to me that what makes her different is that she is perky. In fact, she may be the perkiest singer in the history of jazz. She's even perkier than Joanie Sommers.

Anyway, I like her voice and I like vocalese, so I'm going to get the album. I'll report back after I've heard it.

By the way, CD Universe says: List Price $18.98; Their Price $15.79; Pre-Order Price $13.29.

I'm looking forward to her duet with one of my favorite jazz vocalists, Nancy King. Kudos to Karrin for including Nancy on her recording. Nancy is one of the great not-very-well-known jazz vocalists. Also looking forward to Nancy's release with Fred Hersch, also due out in April on MaxJazz.

Marla

I'm looking forward to her duet with one of my favorite jazz vocalists, Nancy King. Kudos to Karrin for including Nancy on her recording. Nancy is one of the great not-very-well-known jazz vocalists. Also looking forward to Nancy's release with Fred Hersch, also due out in April on MaxJazz.

Marla

:tup:tup

Marla, Have you listened to Fred Hersch's new Live at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam? It's wonderful.

Edited by RonF

• 2 weeks later...

Since we now have a link to Amazon, I thought I would see if this would link to it. So I found the album using the link at the top of the page, and now here is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EF5ND...5Fencoding=UTF8

Hope that works! Jim, if it doesn't, feel free to correct it.

I see that Amazon has it for $12.97.

Checking out AMG, looks like an interesting set of tunes:

1 Something Worth Waiting For (Con Alma) Caswell, Gillespie 3:34

2 All You Need to Say (Never Say Yes) Adderley, Caswell 4:22

3 Lightining (Lazy Bird) Caswell, Coltrane 2:58

4 A Long Way to Go (Equinox) Caswell, Coltrane 4:39

5 Strollin' Hendricks, Silver 4:43

6 I Found the Turnaround (The Turnaround) Caswell, Mobley 4:03

7 Follow the Footprints (Footprints) Caswell, Gillespie 4:07

8 Life Is a Groove (Jordu) Allyson, Jordan 4:14

9 A Tree and Me Brown 3:09

10 I Can't Say (Teaneck) Adderley, Caswell 3:44

11 But I Was Cool Brown 4:06

12 Give Me a Break (Unit 7) Caswell, Jones 3:48

13 Everybody's Boppin' Hendricks 3:35

I have no idea who this Caswell person is writing the lyrics to most of these tunes. Has there ever been another Mobley composition given lyrics?

I'll be very interested to hear feedback on this one once it hits the stores.

Marla

:tup:tup

Marla, Have you listened to Fred Hersch's new Live at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam? It's wonderful.

Ron,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am ashamed to say I only have Fred as a sideman. I'll give a look-see and perhaps purchase! I do know I enjoyed his set at the Vanguard several years back.

Marla

I like Karrin.

She's perky? Guess so. I like her better than Diana Krall.

passkarrinallyson.jpg

I found her somehow a little "light" and bluesy more than perky, as a jazz performer....

Ever tried Sheila Jordan, Judy Niemack, Tierney Sutton, the last Ineke vandoorn?

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

To answer for myself, yes, yes, yes.

Sutton does't do too much for me. I'll give her more time, maybe she hasn't "hit me right."

Sutton, in my humble opinion, is an incredibly gifted, mature and skillfull singer. She possesses nearly everything ought to be in the skills of a jazz musician in terms of swing (the main factor!!), pitch, harmonic knowledge, techinque and use of the voice like an instrument (etc). In her records she sometimes play duets with only bass or drums (this could suggest something of her rhythmic skills!). Jet her voice may sound too clear, rethoric and simple for someone's standards, and she chooses a little too much the "classic jazz standards" side, maybe, in her repertory as in the arrangements. Her last two records seem to repeat known patterns more than I expected. But she's such a great interpreter she masters the vocal jazz idiom as a few living singers.

Best cds: Introducing Tierney Sutton (A Records 1995), Blue In Green (Telarc 2001), Something Cool (Telarc 2002) - always according to my taste

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

Footprints has arrived in the mail, and I can tell you that after a couple of listens I like it a lot. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it may end up in my Top Ten for the year.

The strongest aspect of it is not the performances but the song selection. Good songs, almost all jazz standards. My favorite is the title track.

Nancy King is a singer from Portland. The pictures indicate that she is getting up there in years, but she has not lost her voice. She sings harmony on I think five of the thirteen songs.

Jon Hendricks also makes an appearance, and unfortunately his age is beginning to show. He is still more youthful than a lot of singers, but his best days are behind him. His performance is not an embarassment, but if he doesn't stop now he will one day embarass himself.

Lyricist Chris Caswell is a pianist and the former musical director for Melissa Manchester, Hal David (when did he ever perform?), Alan Bergman (ditto) and Jimmy Webb.

Oscar Brown, Jr., was going to be on the album, but died before the session was made. They used two of his songs.

I note that Dan quotes AMG listing "Gillespie" as the composer of Footprints, but of course it was Wayne Shorter.

Allyson shares the spotlight a great deal with King and Hendricks. I think I would have preferred it if she had not shared it so much.

If you like vocalese, I can recommend this.

To answer for myself, yes, yes, yes.

Sutton does't do too much for me. I'll give her more time, maybe she hasn't "hit me right."

Sutton, in my humble opinion, is an incredibly gifted, mature and skillfull singer. She possesses nearly everything ought to be in the skills of a jazz musician in terms of swing (the main factor!!), pitch, harmonic knowledge, techinque and use of the voice like an instrument (etc). In her records she sometimes play duets with only bass or drums (this could suggest something of her rhythmic skills!). Jet her voice may sound too clear, rethoric and simple for someone's standards, and she chooses a little too much the "classic jazz standards" side, maybe, in her repertory as in the arrangements. Her last two records seem to repeat known patterns more than I expected. But she's such a great interpreter she masters the vocal jazz idiom as a few living singers.

Best cds: Introducing Tierney Sutton (A Records 1995), Blue In Green (Telarc 2001), Something Cool (Telarc 2002) - always according to my taste

I've heard all those records. . .and. . .well, I totally respectd your taste! I just don't dig her. Maybe one day. Edited by jazzbo

• 7 months later...

This album (Karrin Allyson's Footprints) was nominated for a Grammy today for Best Jazz Vocal Album.

I hope it wins. I've enjoyed listening to it ever since I got it. The writer of the lyrics needs some cheering up, however. But I wouldn't penalize the album for that.

i've really been enjoying it too! very glad it has been nominated.