Enrico Rava Live!

Here in Cambridge,MA tonight, I get to see for the 1st time in the flesh, Enrico Rava in a duo setting w/ pianist Stefano Bollani! I'm obviously psyched to get to hear, in person, someone I've enjoyed a long time.Cat's been recording for ECM for almost 30 years...certainly been recording for 30 years easy!

Any one else going tonight or caught them elsewhere?

Edited by Trumpet Guy

Here in Cambridge,MA tonight, I get to see for the 1st time in the flesh, Enrico Rava in a duo setting w/ pianist Stefano Bollani! I'm obviously psyched to get to hear, in person, someone I've enjoyed a long time.Cat's been recording for ECM for almost 30 years...certainly been recording for 30 years easy!

Any one else going tonight or caught them elsewhere?

i missed him in York last summer where he was performing with his 'regular' quintet; due in part to the sloppy organisational skills of the venue --- 'leave a message on answerphone and we'll get back to you' ......8 TIMES, when they did get back -- sold out! :angry:

Saw Enrico with his Quintet at Cheltenham last year (lovely performance - he'd just broken his leg skiing but did the gig like a trooper) and the phenomenal Bollani in solo performance at the Guildhall, Bath. He does an incredible routine where he asks for about 12 tunes from the audience then improvises a suite around them, mixing them up almost at random. Should be great !

Go for it, you'll never regret. :tup:tup:tup

Bollani it's a huge talented and eclectic pianist, his solo concerts go from Monk to popular and folk italian tunes, from Cecil Taylor to Piazzolla. He's even a funny and comic guy on stage, very communicative with the public. Just the opposite of Keith Jarrett :g

It was a very enjoyable show! Rava was excellent--beautiful tone & approach. These 2 were a crack up--quite a comedy routine! I dug it!

Lots of variety of material--many Rava tunes, The Man I love,Cheek To Cheek...Great duo performance! Both showed thier knowledge of jazz styles--stride,bop,modal,romantic,classical...

I'd love to hang with Rava, I think.

Turnout was a bit disappointing--probably 70 people :(

Welcome to the U.S.

• 6 years later...

fun to read the review except the silly comment:

"Italy has yet to produce a more accomplished jazz musician than the trumpeter Enrico Rava"

says who?

Says Nate Chinen based on what?

I am not saying they are greater but who is to say that Gianluigi Trovesi, Pino Minafra or Carlo Actis Dato are not more accomplished that Mr. Rava?

methinks especially Trovesi and Minafra are two of the greatest jazz musicians/musicians/composers of their generation regardless of where they are from - and certainly a comment like this regarding Rava downplays all the Italian Jazz/folk music that has been made and is being made up through today.

In fact to make a comment like that shows a certain amount of ignorance and buys into the idea of who is more well known must be more accomplished.

Around Small Fairy Tales, baby

Go for it, you'll never regret. :tup:tup:tup

Bollani it's a huge talented and eclectic pianist, his solo concerts go from Monk to popular and folk italian tunes, from Cecil Taylor to Piazzolla. He's even a funny and comic guy on stage, very communicative with the public. Just the opposite of Keith Jarrett :g

Whatever happened to porcy62? Seems he hasn't posted since last October.