Listening to Punk can make you a terrorist suspect

Are the Clash really really considered punk?

Early Clash most assuredly is.

Yea, I never really got the idea that the Clash were really "Punk". I tend think of bands like The Exploited or The Sex Pistols. The Clash were always little more polished. That said, I would much rather listen to The Clash than the groups mentioned, and actually I think it's about time to throw a little London Calling on right now.

Bill

Yea, I never really got the idea that the Clash were really "Punk". I tend think of bands like The Exploited or The Sex Pistols. The Clash were always little more polished. That said, I would much rather listen to The Clash than the groups mentioned, and actually I think it's about time to throw a little London Calling on right now.

Bill

Have you ever heard the Clash's first, self-titled, album, or any of their first few singles? If that isn't punk, then neither are the Sex Pistols, Ramones, or Buzzcocks. Perhaps the trouble is people tending to think of the sound of London Calling as the sound of the Clash, period. That's like judging the Beatles entirely by the White Album.

Bill

Be careful. policecar.gif

Wow, if listening to the Clash gets you picked up, we're farther down the road to total absurdity than I thought...

Yeah, I was talking to Han Bennink in between sets at the Seattle ICP show and he said that he thought that America was changing. He's come here for over 30 years touring, recording etc. and he said that things are getting really tense here now-a-days. He said "everyone's scared of everything and everyone now." I know this isn't in the politics section so I won't go into my opinion on why this climate of fear has crept into our national consciousness, but I’m sure you already know.

Wow, if listening to the Clash gets you picked up, we're farther down the road to total absurdity than I thought...

Yeah, I was talking to Han Bennink in between sets at the Seattle ICP show and he said that he thought that America was changing. He's come here for over 30 years touring, recording etc. and he said that things are getting really tense here now-a-days. He said "everyone's scared of everything and everyone now." I know this isn't in the politics section so I won't go into my opinion on why this climate of fear has crept into our national consciousness, but I’m sure you already know.

Johnny,

While I agree with you fully about the state of affairs in the U.S., I think this incident happened in England?

What the hell? How does a cabbie in England NOT know "London Calling"? One of the greatest albums ever! Now THAT's the absurd part of this story!

Add to the irony... I bet the cabbie grew up in Brixton! :P

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

[Yeah, I was talking to Han Bennink...

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm impressed! :)

Yeah well, you didn't know that Han is my homeboy? ;)

When I met and talked to Han last Friday night after the ICP gig in Boston, he shook my hand with a vise-like grip, bearhugged me and punched me on both shoulders (in a friendly way).

He's really strong for an old guy, as if you couldn't guess that from his drumming! :cool:

Bill

Have you ever heard the Clash's first, self-titled, album, or any of their first few singles? If that isn't punk, then neither are the Sex Pistols, Ramones, or Buzzcocks. Perhaps the trouble is people tending to think of the sound of London Calling as the sound of the Clash, period. That's like judging the Beatles entirely by the White Album.

The early Clash were like the third British punk band ever. No polish at all on that first album. In fact, Epic didn't release it in the U.S. until after their second album, because it sounded so wiry and tin can scrappy. Even when they did release it here, they included some more powerfully recorded later singles and left off a few tracks (shades of Capitol and the early Beatles!).

Bill

The early Clash were like the third British punk band ever. No polish at all on that first album. In fact, Epic didn't release it in the U.S. until after their second album, because it sounded so wiry and tin can scrappy. Even when they did release it here, they included some more powerfully recorded later singles and left off a few tracks (shades of Capitol and the early Beatles!).

Tonight at dinner with my wife I did the math on the “are the clash punk rock or not” conversation. Best as I can figure I have not had the conversation since 1990, which is pretty good considering it probably came up a couple times a year the from 1984-1990. I believe that in the summer of 83’ it probably was discussed no less than a dozen times on different occasions. The good news is I have either matured or just grown old, either way, I have realized that I no longer care what section it is suppose to be filed in, I just want to listen to music I like.

My apologies to those actually trying to discuss the topic this thread was intended to discuss.

Bill

Johnny,

While I agree with you fully about the state of affairs in the U.S., I think this incident happened in England?

What the hell? How does a cabbie in England NOT know "London Calling"? One of the greatest albums ever! Now THAT's the absurd part of this story!

Add to the irony... I bet the cabbie grew up in Brixton! :P

Cheers,

Shane

Depends on how old he is. I've never heard any Clash records (as far as I know), and I'm English (well, kind of).

MG