The Japo minis are here!!

AmirBagachelles

I am enjoying Elton Dean's Boundaries very much here on Saturday am. Still to go over the weekend: Endgame, Mal Waldron's The Call, and one each I have not heard from Globe Unity Orch and Rava. All overdue. Psyched!

I'm deeply, deeply interested in both the Waldron and the Globe Unity Orchestra. Both are fairly atypical sessions (for the performers), correct? I have heard neither.

Are these Japanese issues or something else? I was aware of a Japanese Globe Unity issue, not the others.

Ehh... checked around and answered my own question. This is the second Japo Globe Unity to make it to Japanese CD. Maybe Intergalactic Blow will follow in three years or so...

Edited by David Ayers

Guest akanalog

the waldron is about my favorite album i own.

have had the LP for a few years now.

i would not say it is totally atypical of his work since he did play in embryo for a bit (with jimmy jackson...)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

any thoughts on the guy or the dean ones? they free-ish or more stable?

i love the waldron and like the rava, but i have it on LP and am not sure it is worth the upgrade $$$.

What about the Barre Phillips For All It Is record? One of my favorite LPs of all time... w/ Stu Martin, Barry Guy, J-F Jenny-Clarke, and Palle Danielsson. Just about every setting for contrabasses and percussion is explored, from vampy swing to scrabbly twitter.

Certainly way overdue for a proper reissue, as with a number of other early Barre sessions.

• 3 weeks later...