Bob Hope dead at 100

I just heard that Bob Hope passed away yesterday. Not that that should come as much of a surprise. I have mixed feelings about the guy. While I love his '40's films, especially the "Road" series, I never cared much for him as a comedian and I never liked his politics. Regardless, you can't help but respect all he did during his career for the soldiers and sailors of the armed forces overseas. No matter what you may think of him, you absolutely have to respect his commitment to that cause.

Up over and out.

An era has passed. :(

Whether or not you agree with his politics, like Dave James said, what he did for the armed services is reason enough to think of him as legendary. A lot of military vets, past and present, lost a friend and hero.

Thanks for the memories indeed.

Whether or not you agree with his politics, like Dave James said, what he did for the armed services is reason enough to think of him as legendary. A lot of military vets, past and present, lost a friend and hero.

And whether you thought he was funny or not (and I didn't), the sentiment still applies.

A friend of mine was fond of making the disparaging comment, "And yet Bob Hope STILL lives," every time some other worthy personage passed on.

Example: "Celia Cruz died and yet Bob Hope STILL lives."

Going to have to retire that one finally...

An era has passed. :(

Thanks for the memories indeed.

I have no idea what his political beliefs were about... He was an integral part of that great era of comedy and romance that spawned the likes of WC Fields, Mae West, the Marx Bros, George Burns & Gracie Allen, The 3 Stooges, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Mickey Rooney, and of course his sidekick, Bing Crosby..

Thanks Bob Hope and may you never be forgotten...:rolleyes:

Edited by randissimo

I've never lived in a world without Bob Hope, so it was easy to take him for granted when I was a kid - the old cornball who did admirable but EXTREMELY shows for the GIs every yearand spent the rest of the time doing NOT so admirable, but even MORE predictable, TV shows. He seemed pretty full of himself.

But I was reading an interview with somebody, Woody Allen maybe, sometimes in the mid-70s, and the point was made, and discussed at length, that Hope was once a VERY "cutting edge" comedian in both style and content. Well, if WOODY ALLEN dug Hope...

So I checked out some of his earlier movies and radio shows, and sure enough, there was the reality - Bob Hope was an archtypical Americn Smartass. Like so many others, never mind what they BECAME - their truest legacy best lies in what they once WERE, and Hope in his prime was a funny mutthaphukka, period. Besides, how do you NOT like the "Road" pictures?

So long smartass, and thanks for..., oh - Big Al beat me to it. But seconds from me.

What Jim said. Yeah, if you only knew Hope's work from the last 10-20 years, you might wonder what the big deal was. He was a long way from his prime (longevity will do that to you one way or the other). But for many years - christ, decades! - the man was a comedy icon, on radio, stage, TV, and film.

I used to drive by his house nearly every day (not as a stalker but on my way to work) and though I never saw even a glimpse of the man I would always think about him and all the joy he'd brought to the world over the years. He wil be dearly missed.

For me, he will always be "The Lemon-Drop Kid." :wub:

Ray

You know, I've seen quite a few clips of Hope over the last few days, and I must admit I was missing something. I was judging him completely on those "Road" movies, and his "cowardly" routines, which just plain wore thin as far as I'm concerned, but never really saw much of his deadpanned wiseass side. That straightfaced stare after a double entendre is absolutely sidesplitting! Like anyone who posts mainly on the political threads here, I hate to admit I was wrong, but I was.

I've got a collection of Jack Benny tapes, and Hope was the guest on one show. Bear in mind, Benny is probably my favorite radio comedian, and Hope absolutely stole the show. At one point, an exasperated (but clearly enjoying himself) Benny pleads, "See? It's funny when you use the script, too!"

I see that AMC and Turner Movie Classics are doing a tribute to Hope by showing some of his pictures. Unfortunately, the bulk of those pictures are from his last 10-20 years of moviemaking, which are routinely judged as some of the weakest pictures made. Go figure. :blink:

Finally, I absolutely LOVE the "Road" pictures. Hope and Crosby had such incredible comedic timing and chemistry. What made it even funnier was when they carried the gag into their own pictures. For example, in "My Favorite Brunette," Hope is tuning a radio and comes across a station playing a Crosby song. To which Hope deadpans, "Why can't that guy stay in his own pictures?"

Great memories, indeed.