AOTW Paul Desmond Take Ten

fent99

63060.jpg

Paul Desmond - Take Ten (click to buy)

Here's my pick for album of the week. Hope its not too late.

I could have picked any of the Paul Desmond/Jim Hall albums really (and am fond of Glad to be Unhappy and Bossa Antigua especially too )

Not sure what exactly is so brilliant about this combination but the sax and guitar are sublime and though a little smooth they're never dull. I'm not a huge fan of Brubeck although he definitely has great moments, Desmond is in many of them.

Populist Take Ten might be but no-one puts a foot wrong and I've played it again and again and again.

Discussed a bit from time to time here but never as an album of the week. Anyone got anything more to say?

Like to hear albums I know discussed ...

Great stuff. I remember buying the new release in college. First met him around this time. All the Desmond recordings are worthy.

As a side note, at various times talking to RVG he said "well, he was special" when I mentioned a musician. The three times I remember were discussions about Dolphy, Coltrane and Desmond.

This is the Paul Desmond I reach for most often. It took me a while to realize that Desomond was the only thing about the Brubeck Quartet that I really enjoyed. It seems that Bossa Antigua and Desmond Blue are a little more focused in their approach and not always what I am in the mood for, but Take Ten always seems to hit the spot. I am not familiar with Glad To Be Unhappy, but will pick it up when the opportunity presents itself. Hall seems to make his way onto many of my favorite lp's, Jiimmy Giuffre in particular.

As a side note Desmond's liner notes are some of my favorites, It is a shame more of his writting did not ever see the light of day.

Bill

I bought this back when it came out, when I was just beginning to explore modern jazz in my late teens. Loved it then & still love it now. Eventually replaced it with the Mosaic box. Desmond & Hall are one of those magical musical collaborations.

:tup:tup:tup

Similar story. Can recall buying this back around '64 when I was a junior in college and I frequently haunted the vast original Sam Goody's store up around Broadway and 49th Street in NYC. At that time, Goody's employed knowledgable people who had been involved in various production endeavors, e.g., Harry Lim. I was always steered to purchase the better jazz LPs that came out at the time.

Well I'm way too young to have bought this when it came out. I taped this from a library copy in the early 90s. It never did much for me until I'd been at a gig in London (a horrible Wayne Shorter/Herbie Hancock duet gig, anyone else go to those gigs?) and stayed over at a friends place. In the morning she put on a compilation of the RCA stuff (a cheap one on Camden in the UK) and I realised there was something special there. Its been a firm fave since. Bought the french remaster and been picking up others too. Is the box worth it? Mosaic has a non RCA album with Hall but the complete RCA has the strings album which I don't like as much...

In truth I've been on a major Hall kick recently after I heard the Piano Jazz show with him. Excellent stuff.

The other Desmond I can give unequivocal praise to is the Brubeck/Desmond duet album from 1975. How's the live album from Toronto at about the same time?

Great choice!

Paul Desmond is one of my favorite jazz musicians. I've also got the Desmond/Hall Mosaic box and often don't bother to note which songs go with which album. I only wish I'd also bought the CD version, as it would be nice to listen to this stuff without surface noise, but that's a minor point. (The only Mosaic I play more often than this is the Shorter/Morgan Vee-Jay.)

Lovely music. One of the great partnerships in jazz?

I have the Mosaic so I had the pleasure of playing discs one and two today. Not a wasted note. Desmond is just just incredible, but often it's Hall who's understated playing catches my ear, so many surprises from him along the way. Did he ever play better than here? I should add I'm not a great bossa fan but these are the guys to play it.

I think it was in '89 when Ron Carter and Jim Hall came to Atlanta and I saw them. Great!

In the paper that day was an interview with Hall, and it mentioned in its introduction of him that he with Paul Desmond was the subject of a Mosaic box, as if that was proof of his greatness.

Was in a record store today that had the Paul Desmond/Jim Hall album that originally appeared on Warner Bros. This one was titled "First Place Again," and it's been issued on Collectables. Anyone have this? Wasn't it part of the original Mosaic set?

just a kick here that 'first place again' is my favorite desmond recording, period (and i have them all). there's a smokey late-night session feel to this record that simply incredible art. desmond and hall play a seamless set with what i feel is a bit more substance than on the rca sides.

-e-

Edited by etherbored