Charles Tolliver 'Paper Man'

David Ayers

First CD issue due out "hopefully somewhat soon" (take that as you will) according to first-person insider reports here on this board. Should have a couple bonus tracks, if I recall right. Never been issued on CD before anywhere on the planet.

I've heard it (from LP), like it, and welcome its release on CD.

One of his very best! Get it if you can!

I'm a huge Tolliver fan (can't get enough), but I'd call it more like "quite good" than "one of his very best".

I'm sure I'll buy it shortly after it comes out on CD finally. But IMHO, it's not nearly as "great" as the list of sidmen on the date might imply. (It's a good date, but not quite the "holy grail" I was hoping for, personally.)

The Loosdrecht set was issued on CD by Black Lion as "Grand Max" and has the same tracks as the 2-LP set. Can probably be found in the used bins. I don't think it's that rare.

As for "Paper Man" - definitely a keeper. Worth it for "Household of Saud" alone! But it's a must-have with Gary Bartz, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Joe Chambers. A veritable super-group.

Also worth noting that 'Impact' is due for reissue from Enja in December...

Wow!!! :excited:

Hadn't heard that the enja "Impact" was due out on CD. Only discovered this date very recently (probably about six months ago), when I stumbled on one on eBay (on LP) for about $10. I thought I knew and had every Tolliver-lead date there was -- but this one somehow was under my radar all these years (because of having the same title as the totally different "big-band plus strings" date also called "Impact" - on Strata East).

I will definitely be getting this on CD. Any idea if there will be any bonus material?? If I remember, the LP is about 44 or 45 minutes long, at most.

• 4 months later...

I remembered there was a thread on this... I'd forgotten that I started it! I did buy the LP, as it happens. 'Quite good' rather than 'best' would sum it up for me. The LP mix is not too great (at least on my Arista copy) and I wonder how well it will come up on the eventual CD - I have a few doubts.

Does anyone have further info about the CD release?

• 6 years later...