Erroll Garner - PORTRAIT

DrJ

If this is material in the public domain (remember Europe has different laws on this than we do), what's the big deal? Past Perfect has put out a nice 10 cd box of Count Basie. I'm sure it's not "legit" from a US point of view but it sounds great and if it's legit in Europe, I don't see a problem.

Well Brad, my point was that it doesn't appear that anyone so far knows for sure if all the material in this box IS in the public domain - since I can't seem to find anything, after posting here and scouring the Web, that details exactly what recordings are included. If it's ALL PD stuff, then of course it would be fine by me, but if there are other recordings in there, I think it stinks and would avoid it like the plague.

Until we know for sure, it's all idle speculation. I'm not into buying stuff that I view as "gray market," such as much (most?) of the Definitive/Fresh Sound output. I don't care what European law says, it rubs me the wrong way to think that the artists are not getting any kind of compensation for having their work reissued on the cheap by some outfit in Spain or Germany or Timbuktu. Call me crazy.

Edited by DrJ

I'd stick with the telarchive twofers. They can be found inexpensively at half dot com or ebay and maintain a high level of quality. Garner was an amazing player-so versatile but always maintaining his distinctive style. IMO, Garner deserves consideration at the very top tier of pianists right along with Tatum, Hines, etc.

Dr J.,

You raise some good points, which have discussed extensively, although I don't know if this thread is necessarily the right place for it. Whether this set is in the public domain (50 years in Europe) probably depends on the discography, as you've suggested. It's my understanding that Definitive gets a real black eye not because they're taking things that are in the public domain, but particular presentations of material in the public domain and copying them: the Bailey from Mosaic and the Mingus from Uptown or putting out presentations that other companies might have done. I believe Chuck had said that Spotlite was going to put an edition of Fruscella before Definitive got in the act. Viewed in this regard, Proper might not be viewed all that differently from Definitive.

What is a shame that Mosaic couldn't do this.