Billy Harper, "Black Saint"

Saw Roach/Harper/Cecil Bridgewater (I think)/Reggie Workman at Keystone Korner ca. 1976-77.  Great stuff.  Workman took the greatest bass solo I've ever heard live.  Rest of the show wasn't bad either - Dexter Gordon quintet and Bobby Hutcherson group.   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

My wish is for that badass Max 4tet club date video from the very early 70s that was up on YouTube for a quick minute back in yonder times to get extrapolated out more fully.

Not sure whether we are talking about the same vanished YouTube Video but I remember a long track split in two videos  - don'the have the audio file with me but pretty sure it was "Nommo" - which was recorded around the "The Loadstar" session in 1976 during a club date in Italy .... Billy Harper is sensational and Reggie Workman on fire to say the least .... compared to that the Horo recording somehow lacks a little bit momentum - still very good though ....

Edited by soulpope

5 hours ago, felser said:

Saw Roach/Harper/Cecil Bridgewater (I think)/Reggie Workman at Keystone Korner ca. 1976-77.  Great stuff.  Workman took the greatest bass solo I've ever heard live.  Rest of the show wasn't bad either - Dexter Gordon quintet and Bobby Hutcherson group.   

Must have been quite an experience .... agree that Reggie Workman blossomed as part of this Max Roach 4tet Edition .... BTW his Solo recording for Denon "The Works Of A Workman" from 1978 is IMO an underrated gem and features inter alias a superb version of "Samba De Orfeu" ....

T.D. I was at the concert Sunday night at the Falcon. I understood Harper to say that he had either bought back the rights to the music on the Blueprints of Jazz cd that he was selling or that he had bought all of the physical inventory of that  cd.   Great concert although I thought Aaron Scott played too loudly.

6 hours ago, felser said:

My first BH experience was Max Roach w/Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater, Calvin Hill at Keystone Korner - 11/3/77. We might have been at the same show! I've followed Billy ever since. Of course, the rest of the band wasn't too shabby either!

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

My first BH experience was Max Roach w/Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater, Calvin Hill at Keystone Korner - 11/3/77. We might have been at the same show! I've followed Billy ever since. Of course, the rest of the band wasn't too shabby either!

I believe the change from Reggie Workman to Calvin Hill took place in Fall 1977, so likely forum member "felser" saw a different concert performance ....

Edited by soulpope

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Not sure whether we are talking about the same vanished YouTube Video but I remember a long track split in two videos  - don'the have the audio file with me but pretty sure it was "Nommo" - which was recorded around the "The Loadstar" session in 1976 during a club date in Italy .... Billy Harper is sensational and Reggie Workman on fire to say the least .... compared to that the Horo recording somehow lacks a little bit momentum - still very good though ....

You might be right. For some reason I was thinking it was a club in Massachusetts in the early 1970s, but I'd not put even half of your money on that bet, much less any of mine! :)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

You might be right. For some reason I was thinking it was a club in Massachusetts in the early 1970s, but I'd not put even half of your money on that bet, much less any of mine! :)

The video I`m referring to was a panchromatic film clip .... if this helps ....

17 hours ago, felser said:

Dayum!  I'm jealous.

15 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

T.D. I was at the concert Sunday night at the Falcon. I understood Harper to say that he had either bought back the rights to the music on the Blueprints of Jazz cd that he was selling or that he had bought all of the physical inventory of that  cd.   Great concert although I thought Aaron Scott played too loudly.

Cliff, I think you're right re. the CD...my ears were ringing* through much of the first set. Agreed on the concert and Scott's volume. Good experience for my first time at the Falcon - may go to see Pete Malinverni on July 13, although that's not the most convenient date for me.

* Not only did Scott play very loud, but the club messed up the sound system/amplification. In the front of the room, drums were overwhelming and bass line inaudible. Sound was much better toward the back.

Edited by T.D.