FOUR CHANNEL CD SOUND HAS NEVER BEEN IMPLEMENTED

The format of the audio disc, known as the "Red Book" standard, was laid out by Sony and Philips in 1981. The format is a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate. Four-channel sound is an allowed option within the Red Book format, but has never been implemented.

Four-channel sound is an allowed option within the Red Book format, but has never been implemented

Four-channel sound is an allowed option within the Red Book format, but has never been implemented.

Four-channel sound is an allowed option within the Red Book format, but has never been implemented

Four-channel sound is an allowed option within the Red Book format, but has never been implemented.

hi vibes, chewy-chew-chew-benitez signin' on here: you don't know me very well, do you vibes? im not gettin SACD. If i want surrround im going to go Quad, which i can't do till i find a nice vintage rug to cover the floor where the wires will run under to put speakers in the back. you should see what my friend doug did- syncing 7 hi-fi's together in his basement (each w/ 7 osciciloscopes on top). it sounds amazing

GOOD

GOOD

GOOD

GOOD

MG

(Your friendly lo-fi fan)

Aw, I think I'll bust out crying. And the problem with two channels would be?

It never fails to amaze me how sheep-like people are when a new and 'improved' product is marketing super-sized then media served.

I called Mac Mall and asked for computer speakers. As in two. You see, I have two ears at last count. I was sent something called a 5.1 system which had 5, count 'em 5 speakers, and enough wires to make Medusa work harder. I simply could not put it together properly. (truth in posting: I am a techno-moron, slobbering on myself even as I write this) Sent it back (the first of 2 times Mac Mall f'ed up a simple order), went to CompUSA and spent $20 on speakers including subwoofer that are just peachy keen.

What is this obsession about 'new, improved technology'? What am I missing here?

Edited by fasstrack

Chewy,

Actually, some cds do feature authentic, vintage quad mixes on them. If you played them with the proper decoder, you would get the quad mix. I believe some older Columbia cds had them...like a Santana one I think... :blush: But yeah, you gotta have one of them old decoders...

There are also the DTS cds put out by DTS Entertainment. Many classic rock titles with their original quad mixes intact. I'm surprised you've not seen these as they've been out for quite a while. I have a few...like Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle, E.C.'s 461 Ocean Blvd...

Playable on most dvd players connected to a surround receiver. (pssst, and they can be copied too!) :cool:

I wouldn't see much sense in re-channelling a recording conceived for stereo reproduction (no to mention mono sources), as the recording setup would have been different with that in mind. But with original quadraphonic or newly recorded multi-channel material, why not.

On the whole, I care less for multi-channel sound than for high resolution, which I think is much more important.

And yes, we have only two ears, but they hear in all directions!

Edited by mikeweil

They split up the frequency range.

Poorly.

:D

Sometimes I don't think they even did that. I've got a lot of the late 60s Specialty LPs, reissuing Gospel material from the 40s and early '50s and it all sounds like mono to me, only labelled stereo. Best rechanneling I've ever heard!

MG

How can you tell if you're listening to mono or stereo, aside from the cover telling you. What is it I should listen for to tell me? I could never figure it out. Weren't the first 4 Beatles cds released in mono when they came out in the 80's? I have those.