I Thought These Things Had Died & Gone To Hell

JSngry

That Lou Donaldson 'Lush Life' is a pretty nice session - never realised that Applause had done an 'issue' of it. It appeared as 'Sweet Slumber' (with way better cover art ;) ) on a King LP issue, which is the version I have. Nice Duke Pearson arrangements and some great Wayne Shorter vignettes !

I've still got one single Applause LP - a Grant Green 'Am I Blue' in 'rare blue Applause cover art' acquired for $0.50 in a Canadian shopping mall. I was fleeced ! :crazy:

I can recall seeing quite a few copies of 'Natural Illusions' in deep dung edition in those racks at the same price but I passed.

Edited by sidewinder

Don't believe the Dusty hype on "Natural Illusions", that one really is pretty bad. And I say that as a very big Hutcherson fan who loves just about everything else I have heard him on.

I've certainly never listened to it more than a couple of times, but--for what it is (what it is being straightforward, stridently commercial, jazz-informed pop)--it ain't that bad. I'd take Bobby slumming over some hack at 100% any day of the week.

No, they come from multiple-generation or damaged tape copies, which sound like worn-out cassettes.

That, coupled with cover-art designed by two year-olds makes for one heckuva package!!!

And as a special treat for the vinyl buyers they are on 50g non-virgin frisbee vinyl with sleeves 'printed' on the thinnest card money can buy.

Gotta love 'em :cool:

"the legendary Bobbi Humphrey"?????

Nothing legendary about here--for that matter, nothing musical, either. But they do surround here with fine players--she's the fly in the ointment.

Not to be too harsh about it, but there are any number of high school flute players, in any city, who can play much better than she can. At least the better high school flute players care about intonation.

However, there may not be that many high school flute players who can dance around and exhort the audience to get funky like she can.

domestically, they did. it was even a sought after members-club-only-bonus toshiba tocj issue en japon. which renders the applause version all the more weird.

i was under the impression these gems were record club type issues a la the jazz heritage foundation. anyone seen those packages?

-e-

Edited by etherbored

domestically, they did. it was even a sought after members-club-only-bonus toshiba tocj issue en japon. which renders the applause version all the more weird.

i was under the impression these gems were record club type issues a la the jazz heritage foundation. anyone seen those packages?

-e-

I thought I remembered making a mistake and passing over that one.

MG

Yeah, the Applause things came out after BN ceased all activity as an active label (even reissues). It was looking for a while that that was going to be the form that the BN catalog was going to be handled for the immediate future.

Dark days, those were...

Yeah, the Applause things came out after BN ceased all activity as an active label (even reissues). It was looking for a while that that was going to be the form that the BN catalog was going to be handled for the immediate future.

Dark days, those were...

Remember it well...

The first glimmer of Blue Note light on the horizon after that (and it seemed like a very bright beacon at the time, at least in the UK) was the first batch of DMMs from Pathe Marconi in France.

Dark days, those were...

Remember it well...

The first glimmer of Blue Note light on the horizon after that (and it seemed like a very bright beacon at the time, at least in the UK) was the first batch of DMMs from Pathe Marconi in France.

Yeah - what was unusual about those early PM releases is that they brought out Don Wilkerson's "Preach brother" very early. That became the record that started the Brighton DJs going for "Acid jazz". Kurt Mohr worked for PM in those days; perhaps he had something to do with the selection of BNs.

I used to hate those PM sleeves that were a little bigger than regular size. I've got shelves they won't quite fit in vertically.

MG