Opinions sought on a couple of CTI LP's

Big Al

since you're a huge CTI fan, you must own these two. both are absolute classics of the label in every way.

i may have otherwise prefaced my remarks with a precaution, but since you're a fan of 'from the hot afternoon', then without a doubt you'll enjoy 'bridge over troubled water'. i wouldn't quite call it more of the same as the orchestrations are somewhat spare by comparison. after all, alot of folks feel this period to be overtly commercial and boring.

do you have 'summertime'? it completes a sort of desmond triology (of orchestrated recordings; 'pure desmond' not withstanding) for the label.

'afro-classic' is equally representative; very downtempo and awash in period funkiness. it's my favorite of laws for the label, and i've heard or own them all.

track 'em down,

-e-

Edited by etherbored

Well Al,

They are pretty much CTI fare,

but Sebesky is on board and not Creed.

The Desmond has a nice variety of styles

for a stab at S&G songs, if you don't mind

the source of the tunes.

I used to love the Laws LP

and played it constantly. The Bach Passacaglia being a favorite,

but as in all of the CTIs of this nature,

if you're OK with soft (but intelligent, I think) versions,

then I'd say go for it.

Rod

I've always thought "Bridge'" was sort of a classic of it's type: "commercial" music of the highest order. Sebesky created some wonderful (and varied) settings for Desmond. (I think it got 5 stars in "Downbeat" on its release, for what that's worth.) All of his 3 orchestrated "A&M" albums are worthwhile, with "Summertime" having the most traditional "jazz" content, and I think they hold up well, more-so than (say) the Wes Montgomery albums which mined a similar vein. (And they're a nice change of pace for Desmond, who almost exclusively was heard in a small group setting.)

"Afro-Classic" is also worthwhile, and, like the poster above, it got a lot of play on our stereo in its day.

Guest akanalog

sorry to be too late on this but i just re-listened to afro classic and it wasn't as good as i remembered.

mostly the source material-cheesy pop tunes and the classical stuff is a little stiff.

it seems like a lot of CTI stuff chose the worst source material possible-like the cheesiest pop tunes and classical compositions. was this creed taylor's doing?

the james taylor tune is ok but the rest didn't hold up as i had remembered.

there is either a distorted rhodes or e-guitar solo on the taylor tune i really enjoy.