New Gerald Wilson Album On The Way

JSngry

Here's a pretty wothless "review", but at least it's an announcement:

http://www.ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=1&thold=0

Street date 8-23, according to B&N.com, which has samples up for every cut:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/pro...6-2003+16:05:02

Don't know that I'm rushing out to buy this one on Opening Day, but those w/more of hunger for Big Band than I currently have might want to check it out.

When this becomes available, if someone could send me the specific details, I would greatly appreciate it. Apparently *two* of my piano folks are on it - Kenny Barron *and* Renee Rosnes. Also, I'd like to know which movement of the Theme for Monterey suite is included.

Also, trumpeter Sean Jones appears on this - he's the new one to watch, I've been told.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on this album. Gerald Wilson has long been one of my very favorite artists, so it's always good news to learn of an upcoming release from him.

Michael, after listening to the 1:01 snippets on B&N, I can offer a couple of comments. My first overall impression is quite positive (as expected), and it appears that Theme for Monterey: Romance is the featured vehicle from that lovely album.

Funny, but I never think of Gerald Wilson as a "big band leader" as much as I do an elegant, inspired creator.

gerald.jpeg

Personnel on this one:

Clark Terry, Jon Faddis, Jimmy Owens, Eddie Henderson, Frank Greene, Sean Jones (tpt), Benny Powell, Luis Bonilla, Dennis Wilson, Douglas Purviance (tb), Jimmy Heath (ts), Frank Wess (ts, fl), Jesse Davis (as), Jerry Dodgion (as, fl), Jay Brandford (bari), Kenny Barron, Renee Rosnes (p), Anthony Wilson, Oscar Castro-Neves (g), Larry Ridley, Trey Henry, Bob Cranshaw , Lewis Nash, Stix Hooper (ds), Lenny Castro (perc).

Edited by Big Wheel

That list of musicians just shows the amount of respect and esteem the jazz community has for Wilson. It looks like just about anybody is willing to play for him.

re: the mosaic... This really is one of my favorite Mosaics. Combine Wilson's inventiveness with the list of soloists. Good sound and liners too.

Personnel on this one:

Clark Terry, Jon Faddis, Jimmy Owens, Eddie Henderson, Frank Greene, Sean Jones (tpt), Benny Powell, Luis Bonilla, Dennis Wilson, Douglas Purviance (tb), Jimmy Heath (ts), Frank Wess (ts, fl), Jesse Davis (as), Jerry Dodgion (as, fl), Jay Brandford (bari), Kenny Barron, Renee Rosnes (p), Anthony Wilson, Oscar Castro-Neves (g), Larry Ridley, Trey Henry, Bob Cranshaw , Lewis Nash, Stix Hooper (ds), Lenny Castro (perc).

Good heavens!! This should be excellent indeed!

Yes, the Mosaic is very, very good. There are a few so-so pop tunes which are almost (but not quite) redeemed by Wilson's arrangements, but the rest of it is first-rate. I recommend it highly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening for a few weeks now and I generally agree with GA Russell. Wilson was able to recruit a litany of jazz all stars but some are past their prime and some should have been featured more (no solo for Jon Faddis). Kenny Barron is terrific especially on the opening selection though I would have preferred to hear any number of lesser played miles than milestones-a great tune but too many versions are out there already. The ensemble playing sounds a bit muted at times perhaps due to limited rehearsal time?? The Monterey theme is a fine version, arguably the highlight. That said, it's great to have a new Gerald Wilson recording and all big band fans should pick this one up and buy the Mosaic if you don't have it already.