Vonski is doing it again!

White Lightning

A veteran Von watcher (in fact THE veteran etc.) told me that Von's performance last week in Millenium Park in Chicago was magnificent. Ane he played some things that the watcher hadn't heard from him before -- e.g. "Hi-Fly," "Four," "Georgia On My Mind." Rhythm section was the same as the record but with Von's regular guitarist in the place of Wyands, who apparently was supposed to be there but didn't make it.

newlogo2.gif

JAZZ REVIEW

A mind-blowing sound experience

Freeman's history lesson proves he's still the king

By Howard Reich

Tribune arts critic

Published August 5, 2006

The indestructible Chicago tenor saxophonist Von Freeman stepped up to the microphone, introduced himself to a crowd that already revered him, then spoke five words that amounted to a battle cry:

"I came here to blow," said Freeman, who put his horn to his lips and unleashed a torrent of sound and ideas, free-flowing improvisations that summed up whole epochs of jazz history.

At 83, the great Vonski -- as he's known to fans across Chicago and around the world -- doesn't have much left to prove. Yet he seems determined to convince each audience anew that he still commands his instrument, still knows how to push past listener expectations and the conventions of the art form.

Thursday night at the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park, Freeman played at the top of his remarkable form, though more extravagantly than he might during his ongoing Tuesday-night gig in the intimate New Apartment Lounge, on East 75th Street. Performing on the grandest scale possible, italicizing his gestures and dramatizing his rhetoric to the thousands gathered before him, Freeman sounded bigger, bolder and, in some ways, more accessible than ever.

At the same time, though, he sacrificed none of the idiosyncracies of his famously eccentric style, summoning the high-register squeals, rumbling low-note exhortations and slightly flat midregister pitches that are his signature.

Through most of this quartet performance on Millennium Park's "Made in Chicago" series, which has become a staple in the city's summertime music schedule, Freeman reminded listeners what Chicago tenordom is all about. The beefy sound, bristling bebop language, deep-swing rhythm and vast, magisterial solos all referenced a long history of tenor saxophone playing in this city.

Yet Freeman -- celebrating the release of his aptly named new CD, "Von Freeman: Good Forever" (Premonition Records) -- so radically reconceived the standard tunes he played that an unsuspecting listener may have mistaken them for originals. If Freeman occasionally hinted at the original melodic profile of "Georgia on My Mind," for instance, he utterly transformed the tune with his opening, high-flying soliloquy. "When You're Smiling" reaffirmed Freeman's ability to produce a thrilling tone in even the most fleet passages.

The evening began with Chicago trumpeter Corey Wilkes leading his Young Lions Project, which vigorously merged experimental and mainstream idioms.

When Wilkes joined Freeman, toward the end of the evening, two generations of Chicago jazz communed with each other, to striking effect.

----------

"Made in Chicago" continues with Grazyna Auguscik's Orkestra Universale at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park, Randolph Drive and Michigan Avenue; free; 312-742-1168.

hreich@tribune.com

A veteran Von watcher (in fact THE veteran etc.) told me that Von's performance last week in Millenium Park in Chicago was magnificent. Ane he played some things that the watcher hadn't heard from him before -- e.g. "Hi-Fly," "Four," "Georgia On My Mind." Rhythm section was the same as the record but with Von's regular guitarist in the place of Wyands, who apparently was supposed to be there but didn't make it.

I heard the same thing from a couple friends that made the show....man, I love Vonski!!!

m~

I like the new CD too, but I wish there would be a Von Freeman recording with a somewhat different and more modern rhythm section. So far, "The Improvisor" is the only one released by Premonition that has a different "feel". Why not Vonski with Jason Moran, Mark Helias, and Jack DeJohnette? Why not Danilo Perez, John Patitucci, and Roy Haynes? Why not Joe Morris, William Parker, and Susie Ibarra? Why not Enrico Rava, Bill Frisell, and Paul Motian? Why not Misha Mengelberg, Ernst Glerum, and Han Bennink? Oh boy....

Edited by Bol

I like the new CD too, but I wish there would be a Von Freeman recording with a somewhat different and more modern rhythm section. So far, "The Improvisor" is the only one released by Premonition that has a different "feel". Why not Vonski with Jason Moran, Mark Helias, and Jack DeJohnette? Why not Danilo Perez, John Patitucci, and Roy Haynes? Why not Joe Morris, William Parker, and Susie Ibarra? Why not Enrico Rava, Bill Frisell, and Paul Motian? Why not Misha Mengelberg, Ernst Glerum, and Han Bennink? Oh boy....

What Bol said about the rhythm sections. :tup

What Bol said about the rhythm sections. :tup

Me too.