are pre-1955 BN lps ever put on cd?

I think that most of the early Blue Note LPs have appeared on CD in one form or another: Sidney Bechet, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Clifford Brown, Miles, Fats and Tadd, Gil Melle, Elmo Hope, JJ have come out in complete form. A number of 10" came out on special 2-on-one-CD issues: Howard McGhee, Tal Farlow, Sal Salvador, Frank Foster, George Wallington, Jilius Watkins. Early Lou Donaldson, Art Blakey (Birdland), and Horace Silver are available. There have been a number of Blue Note "Hot Jazz' CDs, although I don't know if anything substantial remains unissued on CD.

The Moody with Strings session from 1951 (recorded in Paris) was never reissued until Classics continued its Moody series with this release last year

B000A8MG5E.08._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125909108_.jpg

The full session is included there, complete with its arrangements by André Hodeir!

Is this a different (or more complete) session than the one reissued by BMG in 1995?

cheers for that......another one not to keep me awake at night worrying then!

Actually I remember looking into this issue a while ago during my more obsessive/manic moments and I thought most of em had been covered by blue note/mosaic/chronological etc

Think I also went through the newer Ruppli with a wants list and got not alot at all...hmm.....need to find useless list made at the time which I stored somewhere I would not forget.......DOH!

Jim, you mean the Moody/Frank Foster CD? Forgot about that one.

It had only seven of the eight tunes Moody recorded with strings.

Missing was 'Jackie, My Little Cat'!

Who'ld want to be without that little cat :P ?

That would be the one.

Drag about the missing cat though. Maybe they gutted it for strings...

The Moody with Strings session from 1951 (recorded in Paris) was never reissued until Classics continued its Moody series with this release last year

B000A8MG5E.08._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125909108_.jpg

The full session is included there, complete with its arrangements by André Hodeir!

so, are the Hodeir arrangements as good as I would expect them to be?

I think that most of the early Blue Note LPs have appeared on CD in one form or another: Sidney Bechet, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Clifford Brown, Miles, Fats and Tadd, Gil Melle, Elmo Hope, JJ have come out in complete form. A number of 10" came out on special 2-on-one-CD issues: Howard McGhee, Tal Farlow, Sal Salvador, Frank Foster, George Wallington, Jilius Watkins. Early Lou Donaldson, Art Blakey (Birdland), and Horace Silver are available. There have been a number of Blue Note "Hot Jazz' CDs, although I don't know if anything substantial remains unissued on CD.

This is among my most favorite Blue Note material. :tup