What the hell is NM MINUS ??!!

jbs-tom

sorry but i am totally fed up with those gradings for vinyl on ebay !

near mint minus, excellent plus plus, excellent minus

(near mint minus is like you are afraid to say the truth when a record is only vg+)

terrible !!

for what we have goldmine grading ??

too many freaks out there making vinyl auctions to a bad game!

nuff said

tom

or maybe NM +2, divide by 6 and multiply by 7 -

sorry for all the joking, Music Minus One was an old jazz series in which a player bought a record that had a rhythm section and no soloist and played along - because of that series I am able to say on my resume that I've played with many famous people - gotta go now, as Bird is on the stereo, and as soon as I can fit in a chorus I'm going to put him on my resume as well -

It should all just be a reminder to be careful when bidding and to check feedback specifically for mis-graded record complaints or comments. And look for "satisfaction guaranteed" listings, too.

Yeah, but most people don't post negative or neutral feedback if unhappy with a transaction. Most people don't leave any, or just a "got the record, thanks." Not too helpful if you ask me.

NM- is a Goldmine grade, by the way. EX is not.

NM

NM-

VG++

VG+

It should all just be a reminder to be careful when bidding and to check feedback specifically for mis-graded record complaints or comments. And look for "satisfaction guaranteed" listings, too.

Yeah, but most people don't post negative or neutral feedback if unhappy with a transaction. Most people don't leave any, or just a "got the record, thanks." Not too helpful if you ask me.

I've always posted about poor grading, sometimes as a "neutral" to let people know that this guy doesn't always grade properly (I'm presuming that since "neutral" doesn't effect feedback ratings, no one will give me a negative in reply). I've also posted about bad grading with a positive feedback report, when the seller has apologized and offered a refund or partial refund. I figure we all make mistakes, so give a guy credit for trying to make amends. That's the kind of seller I'd still do business with.

I remember the only negative feedback I had was when I was selling LPs via ebay and was shipping to this guy in the states....he sends the money which arrives a few days after the auction (pre pay pal over here) and the day after!!!! posts negative feedback ...WHERE IS MY RECORD etc etc RIP OFF...I responded and advised patience as the record was still in the plane on its way over the pond....he was very humble and apologised and had forgotten I was (like his money was) in the UK!

Doh!

I always thought (after I got it very wrong at the beginning that Near mint was just that...Mint was visually unplayed/touched...not a blemish, new etc Near mint was just that...not quite..with explanation...no NM- it was then VG...

I stopped selling records as it was a little complicated

A

Edited by andybleaden

I'll admit guilt on not dealing with feedback. When I lived in Chicago, anything that was improperly graded I'd sell to Dusty Groove and usually make a profit. They would, of course, invariably put it out with an overly high grading as well!

Wait a sec - you bought on ebay and was able to sell to a retailer at a profit? What do Da Bastids pay for LPs? Or were these all .99 auctions where no one else bid?

DG pay 50% of resale value, sometimes more. And their prices on used vinyl can be pretty high, so sometimes it worked out perfectly. At the least I would break even. I took them a lot of ratty Actuels at one point and made a killing...

There's a new shop where I live that seems to be working on similar principles, so I've been unloading all my doubles. It's very nice!

Edited by clifford_thornton

NM

NM-

VG++

VG+

sorry , but it is NOT !

you have no nm- grading - that does not exist. if a record is not nm it is vg+ or vg++

NM

NM-

VG++

VG+

sorry , but it is NOT !

you have no nm- grading - that does not exist. if a record is not nm it is vg+ or vg++

According to this page, there's no "NM-", but there's also no "VG++"

I would think it preferable to have more grading classifications than fewer. Seems a huge rift between M- and VG+ (or whatever the hell they are now). :wacko:

The problem is hucksters who want to keep adding +'s because their copy is just so-so-so much better than just a plain old VG+.

What is preferable are the original standards, rigorously applied by everyone. No hucksters muddying the waters. Its like grade inflation of a different sort.

• 1 month later...

The eBay seller behind this auction has his own take on vinyl gradings. He's using MINT as well as M as different gradings. NM represents a record with "no audible scratches" but which may have "visual flaws", while VG++ is still described as "Vinyl will be in Near Mint Condition". :wacko:

Also notice the VG- cover. It's comforting to know that it could still somehow be considered "Very Good".