For The Rhodes Geek

JSngry

zz28rosesmixingitalla_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/varfunkcd.htm#429693

Various -- 28 Roses -- Mixing It All About Fender Rhodes -- Mixed By DJ Mitsu The Beats . . . CD . . . $19.99

Syou Chiku Bai Records (Japan), 1970s Condition: New Copy

It's all about the Fender Rhodes on this one -- and DJ Mitsu serves up an incredible mix of lost keyboard classics from the 70s! The package is sublime -- and starts with a really mellow groove, one that has the keys of the Rhodes just hanging in space -- then builds things up with a funkier edge at the bottom, one that picks up mightily as the set rolls on. The whole thing runs for nearly 80 minutes in length, and features a total of 28 titles that include "Winding Roads" by Gary Bartz, "Melody To Thelma" by Blue Mitchell, "Corsarios" by Marcos Resende & Index, "New Found Truths" by Catalyst, "Time" by Ju-Par Universal Orchestra, "Sweet Children" by Caesar Frazier, "Affirmation" by Al Gafa Quinteto, "Brasswind" by Gene Ammons, "Ghetto Child" by Ahmad Jamal, "Stefanie" by James Moody, "I've Got You On My Mind" by Jorge Dalta, "Astral Quest" by Greg Hatza & Moon Quest, "Beach Journey" by Alan Hawkshaw, and "When She Smiles" by Harold Danko.

It's funny - a lot of the 70s "commercial jazz" didn't do shit for me at the time (and a lot of it still doesn't...), But as fodder for really hip remixes, hey, it's hard to beat.

No pun intended...

If by chance you're referring to my ongoing championing of Monday Michiru, sorry, I stand behind that w/o reservation. No "hedging" on that one. Not even a pinch. Feel free to disagree.

And if you're referring to my recent interst in dance music/remixes, I'll stand by that too. Plenty of interesting things going on there, things that I've been looking for w/o knowing where to find them. Those things are incomplete in and of themselves, but that's part of the excitement of discovery - the realization that there are some new roads to travel, and some new things to try. Again, feel free to disagree.

Feel free to diagree with any and all of it in fact. I'm tired of living a life (and playing music) dictated by preset expectations and foregone conclusions. The only "damage" to be caused is by complicitly agreeing to die sooner than later. Sorry, can't go there. Not now anyway.

We'll see where this all leads. It may be a dead end. But I'd rather go there and find out myself than take somebody else's word for it. I'm a resillient mofo, and it ain't gonna kill me. If it was, I'd have been dead a loooooong time ago.

Again, feel free to disagree. Nothing but the maximum love & respect from me to you no matter what.

I can never see that an open attitude will ever lead to a dead end.

Well, if it leads to an "intellectual" understanding of something w/o a concurrent "emotional feel" for it (or vice-versa), then that's sort of a dead end. But hell, that's a potential problem no matter what, and always has been.

I will say this - now, more than ever, I think I understand why Miles went electric. Money & vanity might have been big factors, but I don't think they were the underlying motivator. I think it was a desire, probably even a need, to confront "pop culture" on its own terms and win on "artistic" grounds, to prove that the emptiness of so much of it was due to the emptiness of its practitioneers, not of the medium itself. There's a "social statement" there that is about more than money & vanity.

Some might say that that's a battle not even worth fighting. Fair enough. But the alternative is to surrender the "real world" to the morons and soulless deathmongers w/o putting up a fight. And if you don't fight, you got no room to complain. That fight can take many forms, but to deny the validity of fighting from within seems to me to be the equivalent of not mowing the grass because it's full of weeds. Cut the weeds down to size and the grass has a fighting chance. Leave them alone, and the grass dies a sure death.

So I'm envisioning a potential future as a yard man. Oh well. :g

Edited by JSngry

I can never see that an open attitude will ever lead to a dead end.

Well, if it leads to an "intellectual" understanding of something w/o a concurrent "emotional feel" for it (or vice-versa), then that's sort of a dead end.
For me, getting to the real meaning of something automatically creates the emotion

and with those two tied together I can walk thru life a little more, if not confident, then surely alive.

As one gets older, it seems that it's easy to fall back on the overconfident, set,

been there-done that attitude coupled with the, self-imposed I think,

attitude of being too old for anything new.

Music and it's varied manifestations are one way to explore your way out of that tangled mesh.

I'm happy to hear that you're making new discoveries that're not

just some foreign flying machines sitting in an abandoned field,

but are extensions of what's gone before

that have embellishments leaving room for future growth.

The feel of something that connects in a refreshing way

is a sure-fire way of feeling young(er).

Edited by rostasi

Not really looking for a way to feel young(er). Just a way to not feel trapped.

Hell, I love having lived as long as I have, seeing what I've seen, and knowing what I now know that I didn't know then. Looking forward to adding on more years, and more learning.