Hank Mobley - Another Workout RVG

Soulstation1

Just got this the other day, and while David Ayers is right about the sound of Hank's tenor on the reissue...I just have to say that after working 11+ hours yesterday, running errands that included going to a monstrously-sized and frantically-busy grocery store, and not getting home till 9:15 in the evening, I put this CD on, listened to it, and understood once again why life's not only worth living, but how moving and beautiful it can be as well. Thank you, Mr. Mobley.

Nice post. Yes, it's not always easy but that's a nice perspective to have on a day like that. I had an 11.5hr work day last Monday and I was pretty fried by the time I got home and I didn't even go to a store on the way.

Re: Another Workout, it's one of my favorite Mobley albums. I bought a vinyl copy through the mail several years ago but it was a DM pressing which wasn't mentioned when I bought it. It was too bright if I remember correctly and it went straight back to the store. I eventually got a cd version which I do like a lot. Does anyone have a non DM vinyl pressing of this album and if so, is it worth chasing down and spending the money on? I think it's slated for one of those 45 RPM pressings in the future.

Edited by six string

Mobley recorded so few Quartet sessions, that by itself makes this one a "must own".

I think that's one of the reasons I like that album so much. Less clutter :unsure: It's much easier to hear Grant's contributions.

??

Grant is not on "Another Workout".

Oops! My bad. I must be confusing it with "another" album. :blush2: I could have sworn he was on that one but I wasn't at home to confirm it.

What I remember about the French DMM that I owned for about 48hrs is that it was too bright/harsh sounding.

Just want to add another :tup for Another Workout. I find myself enjoying the relaxed feeling of the date, untypical of many BN hard bop records of the time.

Which is why I never get tired of it. I've been really burnt out on the typical "hard bop" dates for several years now...but albums like this are always a pleasure to hear.