is there really a tape or Bird/Stitt/Mobley, B'land, '53

Hi folks,

Effectively, I have this tape from the Chan Richardson's collection, but I promised to not diffuse it. I wanted only to confirm that it exists, and that you can try to get it. But at all, I don't want to be at the origin of a quarrel between collectors. Sorry!

This tape was sold at Guernsey's auction on February 20, 2005. Below, an excerpt of the material sold at this auction:

Lot 155: 1 tape - $531

Probably dubbed as the stock is 50's but the recording is 1/4 indicating mid-60's or later.

May 23, 1953. 'Cool Blues, 'All The Things You Are' and Lullaby of Birdland'. Strangely, once again no mention again in the catalogue that it was a recording of Dizzy's All-Stars?

July 1952 a short, faint piece of 'Tunisia';

May 30 1953 Previously issued on Bird at Birdland, Charly Records.

June 27, 1953. Unissued recordings and no discography contains reference to this date. Tracks are: Star Eyes, Moose the Mooch, Lullaby of Birdland, Ornithology, Lullaby of Birdland (sic).May 17, 1950 Birdland again! See above

Track 2&3: More of the same. See above.

Both sessions with Bud Powell

to EKE BBB

My Charlie Parker disco is no longer available. Sorry!

Edited by Claude Schlouch

wiat wait wait wait wait wait wait is hank on ALL of the aformentined '53 tracks? if not, which ones speifically have hank, if you happen to know? WHO IS CHAN RICHARDSON. so he gave YOU a copy but he wants NO ONE else to hear it? whats his problem, is he holding on to it like a trophy to boost his jazz ego? AGHRGHRHSR

this reminds me of the guy i met on here once who was all: sure all copy you the unreleased 1959 hank mobley/lee morgan- blakey session on bLue note: but ONLY if you have something from the following list:

OTHER unrelased mobley

Unreleased Columbia Miles Davis

Unreleased Charlie Parker

AUJRGHRESAHGRGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

\

-------------WHAT-----------------

======is-----------------

----------THE-----------------

-----------PROBLEM?!?!?!?===============

ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

wiat wait wait wait wait wait wait is hank on ALL of the aformentined '53 tracks? if not, which ones speifically have hank, if you happen to know? WHO IS CHAN RICHARDSON. so he gave YOU a copy but he wants NO ONE else to hear it? whats his problem, is he holding on to it like a trophy to boost his jazz ego? AGHRGHRHSR

this reminds me of the guy i met on here once who was all: sure all copy you the unreleased 1959 hank mobley/lee morgan- blakey session on bLue note: but ONLY if you have something from the following list:

OTHER unrelased mobley

Unreleased Columbia Miles Davis

Unreleased Charlie Parker

AUJRGHRESAHGRGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

\

-------------WHAT-----------------

======is-----------------

----------THE-----------------

-----------PROBLEM?!?!?!?===============

ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this from the man who's claimed to have hours and hours of Hank Mobley private recordings (I know of only 4 discs total from his European stay) yet has never come across to anyone with any of it. So yeah, I'll give you the unreleased Blakey session - give me every unofficial Hank disc you have, then we'll talk.

Guest youmustbe

Ozzie Cadena, the once upon a time Savoy A&R told me he has a lot of unreleased Hankola material but nobody wants to buy it.

It's like Frank Tiberi asking for a million dollars for his Trane tapes...but I have most of them thru other collectors....

I know everyone wants and deserves money, but like Roy Haynes asking 10,000 dollars for anyone to release a tape he is on....

It's the 21st century and all that 'collector' stuff is past tense.

You guys all burn each other cd copies, right? You don't care if the artists get paid, and you're right.

Guest youmustbe

As I understood it, he had recordings that Hank made that were never released, but maybe he also meant live stuff.

It would be nice if Trane's Jazz Gallery stuff would be released that I believe are Tiberi's; tapes. Like the 15 minute solo on Liberia from June 11, 1960, with McCoy, Steve Davis and Pete LaRoca. And from earlier set, The Night Has A Thousand Eyes...great stuff.

my friend told me about that tiberi stuff he doenst want anyone to even hear it cause thats where he steals all his licks from

That's total bullshit, chewbacca! Frank is a unique player, and while you can hear the obvious influence of Trane in his playing, he's not "stealing licks" from a "secret source" that he "won't share".

Frank's a very generous person. Ask Sangrey's Quartet Out partner Pete Gallio, he's heard a lot of Frank's Trane tapes (and I'm sure Jim's heard some too). I've heard bits and they are great. I hope they get released someday in a way that is fair to all involved. I'll buy a legit copy for sure.

Edited by Free For All

Yeah, chieu-tchoo, your word on Tiberi sounds like "gossip" that's so far removed from the source as to not be taken seriously.

From what I hear, the holdup to Tiberi's cache is that he wants what they're worth to him, and ain't gonna settle for less. Might not be a good "business move", but considering his personal attachment to all those tapes (I think he made them all himself) & his natural dislike/distrust of "the business", it's understandable.

I was hearing a few years ago that a deal was imminent. Why & how it fell through, I don't know. But the word that he doesn't want to let them go because that's where he steals all his licks from is flat out bullshit.

You might be able to get a grain of truth out of some things you hear from 157th generation sources, but a grain will be all it is, and you're lucky if you get that much. Remember that, ok?

Ozzie Cadena, the once upon a time Savoy A&R told me he has a lot of unreleased Hankola material but nobody wants to buy it.

It's like Frank Tiberi asking for a million dollars for his Trane tapes...but I have most of them thru other collectors....

I know everyone wants and deserves money, but like Roy Haynes asking 10,000 dollars for anyone to release a tape he is on....

It's the 21st century and all that 'collector' stuff is past tense.

You guys all burn each other cd copies, right? You don't care if the artists get paid, and you're right.

The Cadena material is Hank as sideman in the early '50s. It is all live material with 2 different bands.

From my experience (admittedly a few years back) Roy Haynes was reasonable to deal with.

Guest youmustbe

I interviewed Tiberi re my Birdland book. I can understand his attachment to the tapes and the value he places on them. But, most of them are out already and many people, including myself have them. So it's a little Quixotic on his part, but that's his business, so to say.

I also understand Roy wanting a taste. But, a live tape of his quartet with Wayne, with Wayne asking 25000...it ain't worth a total budget of 50,000!

Maybe last century, but with downloading, it's a new ball game. I have one foot in the classical music world, and as some of you might have read, with no record deals, classical musicians have finally, grudgingly agreed to let their performances be available thru downloads.

The whole question of copyrights in the 21st century is a very interesting topic, but for now I'll just say that EVERYTHING should come out...live performances, photos, because it all will anyway. Better to deal with iTunes and the like than have me burn copies of a Tiberi tape for friends who will in turn pass it on to their friends and Frank will wind up holding the bag. With technology what it is, they will sound just as good as if somebody would release them commercially.