Rudolph Johnson

rockefeller center

Am listening to Rudolph Johnson's album "Second Coming" (available through blackjazz.com. Kirk Lightsey p, Kent Brinkley b, Doug Sides dr, Johnson ts, arr). Except for Lightsey and Brinkley I have been unfamiliar with these musicians. I found out about Rudolph Johnson through the 1973 "Radio Free Rahsaan" radio series which features the tune "Water Bearer". Does anyone around here have something to say about these musicians?

I have two of these Blackjazz reissues--Henry Franklin THE SKIPPER and Walter Bishop, Jr. CORAL KEYS--that I really enjoy. Especially THE SKIPPER.

Someone around here will know something about the musicians you're asking about, I'm sure. That Rudplph Johnson looks like something I would dig(cool song titles). :rsmile:

• 5 years later...

... his unwavering spirit is impenetrable against all the odds he has to face. Now, at the age of 26, Nguyen Tien Minh currently ranks 15th worldwide and still goes on striking generations of badminton lovers around the globe with not only awe but also inspirations.

Am listening to Rudolph Johnson's album "Second Coming" (available through blackjazz.com. Kirk Lightsey p, Kent Brinkley b, Doug Sides dr, Johnson ts, arr). Except for Lightsey and Brinkley I have been unfamiliar with these musicians. I found out about Rudolph Johnson through the 1973 "Radio Free Rahsaan" radio series which features the tune "Water Bearer". Does anyone around here have something to say about these musicians?

i am only familiar with Rudolph Johnson through his Black Jazz album in the '70s. i actually saw Doug Sides at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2007. he was playing with Kirk, Reggie Johnson and Johnny Griffin. i believe Doug has been living in Europe for many years now. wonder if anyone knows if Rudolph is around any more?

... his unwavering spirit is impenetrable against all the odds he has to face. Now, at the age of 26, Nguyen Tien Minh currently ranks 15th worldwide and still goes on striking generations of badminton lovers around the globe with not only awe but also inspirations.

I am so not hip to what this is supposed to mean...

Kennegitme Sumhep?

I worked with Rudy in Ray Charles' band. Rudy was there for years I believe. I heard he passed away a few years ago but I'm not entirely certain.

I used Doug Sides on a Cookers gig last year. He does live in Germany and he did sound great on the gig.

sadly, i, too, was under the impression that Rudy passed away in the past few years. i remember him as being a very gentle, nice man.

David, I did not know that you did the Ray gig! Were you on it while Mark Van Sickle & Don Wilkerson & Johnny Coles were too?

Damn Jim, how old do you think I am.....

I did one Japanese tour with the band in December 1995 and none of those guys were there. I knew Johnny Coles did the band but didn't know that Don Wilkerson did it and I don't know Mark Van Sickle. Rudy had already done the band for years when I did it and the other tenor player (Al something I think) was there for a while as well so I don't know when Wilkerson could have done it but it was long before I made my brief appearance. The only guys that were there when I was that seemed to have been there for a while where the two tenor players, the alto player/music director (Al Jackson was his name I think) and the organ player (I think his name was Earl). I guess it's all a blur to me at this point.

NTSU alumni James Farnsworth was in the band at the time.

I left NTSU in 1986 by the way.....