Frank Lowe

Late

The Flam is especially good and a favourite of mine, the Soul Notes are fine too. The final recordings on CIMP are a little sad, not surprising in the circumstances but he does make a telling appearance on Billy Bang's Vietnam. There's also Black Beings on ESP, but I've not palyed that for a while.

I recently sold my vinyl Duo Exchange - good stuff really but not the music I'm listening to now.

If I weren't so depressed about Dewey leaving, I'd be a little more enthusiastic--so here goes:

-'Duo Exchange' is terrific and on CD. Some of Rashied's heaviest work.

-'Black Beings' is some explosive shit--some of the hardest post-Trane free blowing on record (although not very dynamic).

-I'm a huge fan of the CIMPs, although they're not as explosive as the earlier sides. A lot of sensitivity here.

'The Flam' & 'Fresh' are very good early recordings, as is the recently re-released CD on the Marge Label called 'Tricks of the Trade'.

'Exotic heartbreak' & 'Decision in paradise' on Soul Note are both excellent but the bestest Frank Lowe in my opinion is 'Live from Soundscape' on DIW. A terrific live set from 1993 with Frank playing in a quintet with 'Butch' Morris - Cornet; Amina Claudine Myers - piano; Wilbur Morris - bass & Tim Pleasant - drums.

For Frank Lowe enthusiasts, pick up a copy of pianist/composer Steve Cohn's The Beggar & The Robot in Diamonds. Lowe's only on half the session (and his contributions are strictly in a supporting role), but this is a great cd. Cohn is a recent discovery for me — very atmospheric music.

324555.jpg

THE FLAME (BLACK SAINT) comes first for me.

The others on SOUL NOTE are worth to have, particularly EXOTIC HEARTBREAK with BUTCH and WILBER MORRIS and AMINA MEYERS.

DUO EXCHANGE is warmly recommanded.

THE CIMP are fine albums by any standard.

My favorite is BODIES AND SOUL (with CHARLES MOFFET & bassist TIM FLOOD) but VISION BLUE is nearly as good (with STEVE NEIL on bass and ANDERS GIFFEN on drums).

But my two favorites albums with THE FLAME comes from the session that LOWE recorded in france with bassist BERNARD SANTACRUZ who have huge and warm bass sound.

The first AFTER THE DEMON'S LEAVING (AA), from 1996, is a trio with DENIS CHARLES on drums, the second, SHORT TALES (BLEU REGARD), from 2000, is a calm and beautifull duet between the two men.

One worth hearing too, is another duet, the one he recorded with EUGENE CHADBOURNE (who really "plays" on this record), DON'T PUNK OUT on EMANEM.

It's also the occasion to hear FRANK LOWE in unaccompanied solo on three tracks recorded years later.

'Twas with Olu Dara, Leo Smith, Philip Wilson and Freddie Williams. Not his best, but haven't spinned it in a long time.

Talking about oddities, my favorite is the Jerome Cooper double set on Kharma, "Positions 369". Lowe blowing against Kalaparusha, and Cooper doing wild percussions... They all have their solo spots, and there are incredible duets between FL and McIntyre.

At the end of 1976 he made a short sojourn in France which provided two fine records on Marge and Palm:

palm25.jpg

The "french" rhythm section consists of Didier Levallet and George Brown, and Butch Morris is on cornet. "Tricks of the Trade", the Marge one, is on CD.

Edited by HW!

Here's the Marge, a pretty noisy affair, plenty of non-LP material on the CD (it's about twice as much music as was on the LP):

tricksofthetrade.jpg

No Lowe expert at all, but I love "Bodies and Soul" (CIMP) quite some. A few very, very moving tunes on it.

Then I can add yet another recommendation for "Fresh".

But I still need to hunt "The Flam"... and a few others, I assume, reading this thread!