NFL chat thread

Too young to really remember the AFL, but I sure read about all of those early pre-merger Super Bowls when I was a kid (anybody else ever have those little NFL history hardback books as a kid?). But I was way into the ABA... I remember listening to Indiana Pacers-Kentucky Colonels games on my transistor radio after I'd gone to bed. George McGinnis (Big Mac, hometown hero) for the Pacers, Artis Gilmore for the Colonels... and Julius Erving was in the same league too, playing for the Sixers. Good 1970s memories!

I'm with my brothers (who are much better-versed in such matters these days than I): much prefer NE at home to SD on the road, and anyway, my gut says that the jinx is up in the Colts-Pats rivalry.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect B&B as much as anyone, but its not going to be an easy thing, beating Indy on the road on that slick surface. If the Indy defense plays as well as they have recently, I'm afraid that Indy will break through and finally win a critical January game. And don't forget, too, that they have Vinatieri on their side now. Pats have a major, major challenge in front of them.

Will someone please explain to me how the Pats could annoy anybody? Well, they've won so much over the last 5 years or so--perhaps the justification; but here you have a team whose players are consistently overlooked for the Pro Bowl, and who never build up huge personal stats. It's a great team.

To Sangry:

I embraced the Pats in 1976 (If I remember correctly) when Plunkett was qb; Russ Francis was te; Sam Bam was the rb; John Hannah and Grey were olinemen. I seem to remember a big dt named Adams. We were living in New Jersey at the time, and we really didn't have a team besides maybe the Eagles that would be considered "local." I didn't become a huge NFL fan till later, but they've always been my favorite team. Never had any other. I was 16 years old in 1976, and it took me a few years to begin to appreciate the NFL. Chuck Fairbanks was the coach, and I remember we got screwed in the playoffs on a bullshit penalty which kept the Raiders alive when we had them stone beat. Nojjy is too young to know about that! Raiders went on to the AFC championship.

I couldn't watch NFL from 1984 to 1995 when I was in Asia; so I lost track of all the players.

Of course, my love of the team really mushroomed under the Parcells, then Bill Belichick eras. I was really hurt when Parcells left and Curtis Martin followed the following year. We never had another good rb until we traded for Corey Dillon. It was a long draught. Picking up Tom Brady in the 6th round was some heck of a steal. Great qbs are hard to identify sometimes in college.

There is NO DOUBT that the Pats are not as good as they were when they won two straight super bowls, but they've still got BB, Brady and the best Front 7 in football.

The Pats are annoying today for the same reason the Cowboys were annoying back in the 70s. Cold, mechanical, soul-less (but not as bad as the CBoyss were - nobody could be that soul-less!) robots who just win win win. And win.

They annoy the shit outta me (Brady in particular, who makes Staubach seem like Namath in terms of "personality"), but I give'em full props. They're a disciplined focused team, and they deserved to beat SD today. The Chargers were anything but disciplined and focused. What was up w/that bullshit unsportsmanlike thing that kept the Pats drive alive? And the fumble on the punt return? Your guys don't do shit like that, and when the other team does, they invariably find a way to capitalize on it. That's the mark of a true champion. I just wish they were more...fun. Hell, even the Boys gave us momentary freakshows like Duane "If It's The Ultimate Game, Why Do They Play It Next Year?: Thomas and Hollywood "Things Go Better With Coke" Henderson to break the monotony.

But they do win, and that's the ultimate object of the game, isn't it. Can't fault that. I just like a little more, uh, "human interest" with my sports. Boring efficiency I get enough of the other six days of the week. That's probably the way a lot of other people feel too, I suspect, and that's probably why the vibe.

But as far as your history w/the team goes, hey, I was just pulling your leg on that. Really, I was. Apologies if I led you to believe otherwise. Although, if you want to have some fun, go back and check out the old AFL, of which the Boston Patriots were a part. Talk about characters, hell, the whole league was one giant character! But there were some great players in that mix, including a personal favorite, Lance Alworth (long-time Charger, finished up as a Cowboy), who still remains the singlemost graceful wide receiver I've ever seen. They called him "Bambi", and it was not a dig. The cat was an artist. What prime Ozzie Smith was to shortstops, Lance Alworth was to wide recievers. Closest I've seen on a consistent basis since has been prime Wayne Chrebet, but even he doesn't top Alworth in my book.

People who aren't old enough to remember the AFL don't know what they missed, much less understand what a big deal the first 5 or so super bowls really were. When Namath's Jets beat the Colts in SB III, it was more than a little upsetting, truly upsetting, to a helluva lot of people (and when the Colts were designated to become AFC once the merger became official, a lot of people were both distraught and livid!). The AFL was to the NFL what RFK was to Nixon, and in the climate of the times, people took that shit seriously! Everybody thought for sure that Joe Kapp & the Vikings would right the grievious wrong against the Chiefs in SB IV, but Hank Stram had a new little twist called "bump & run" that made it clear that the NFL was waaaay behind the curve, and that the AFL was the future. Two years in a row - the world was coming to an end!

And then the merger took full effect, things settled down, and here we are. Today it's just NFC vs AFC. Not the same thing. Not even the same thing.

As a Packers fan in the 1960s as a child, I distinctly remember the AFL and the first Super Bowl. It was thought of as a life and death struggle in Wisconsin. The Packers simply could not lose to the AFL, which was thought of as a minor league at best. It would have been an incredible humiliation. The Packers won the first two Super Bowls, and when the Jets beat the Colts in the third one, it was clearly viewed as a historic moment, something which had been unthinkable only a few years earlier.

We collected AFL football cards in 1965 and 1966 together with NFL cards, just because they were on sale next to each other at the drug store. We always thought that the AFL cards were "lesser cards", and that the records listed on the back were not legitimate. Even as 9 and 10 year old boys, everyone felt that way--it was simply "true."

LT got pissed because some Pat players were imitating the Shawn Merriman "lights out" dance.

Good!

Roided out son of a bitch looking like Peewee Herman overdosed on meth. Fuck him. And that incredibly stupid dance.

....kinda what I was thinking with the stupid "dance" Ray Lewis was doing prior to the Colts/Raven game!

I bet the dancing is covertly encouraged by NFL marketing heads. Some people love that stuff. I always find a degree of satisfaction to an offensive team converting a 3rd and long after some dimwit defender celebrates a 1-yard loss on 2nd down like he won the game.

Marty = Terrible In Play-offs

:rcry

Marty didn't throw any interceptions, fumble any kick-off returns or head-butt anyone...at least not that I saw. That I would blame on the players...if you must blame a coach I would look at the position coaches for not keeping their boys disciplined enough.

I bet the dancing is covertly encouraged by NFL marketing heads. Some people love that stuff. I always find a degree of satisfaction to an offensive team converting a 3rd and long after some dimwit defender celebrates a 1-yard loss on 2nd down like he won the game.

:tup ...amen, brother!

:tup ...amen, brother!

Amen +1 here as well.

And here I thought the NFL was supposed to be a "professional" league. Some of these guys need to sit down, shut up, and do their fucking jobs when they're on the field and leave all that other immature horseshit at home.

Sheldon, my wife cracks up everytime she sees Lewis doing his silly little routine too.

How embarrassing.