NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Pete Carroll fan at all. He led the NE Patriots to complete mediocrity after Parcells left. Glad we've got a coach now.

greetings. my guess is pete wants out of usc before they are placed on serious probation for the reggie bush transgressions.

Yeah, probation seems likely sooner or later. There's enough smoke to indicate the presence of fire.

Should've said "I'm a big PC fan as NFL coordinator or NCAA HC". I wouldn't want him as Giants HC, for instance. But somebody'll write him a big check if he becomes available.

Latest news is that LeCharles Bentley, the injured prized center for the Browns has to undergo yet another surgery which will keep him out of football in 2007. His career is in jeopardy.

Crennel and the Browns can't catch a break. They probably suffered more from injuries last year than any other team.

In other news: Pats franchised Samuel; Colts franchised Freeney, the Bears franchised Briggs and the Saints franchised Grant. Who's next? Adalius Thomas?

yes. He blew a 0.09.

Wow....I wonder how/if this will affect his current status. He could have possibly been one of the highest paid free agents out there, but this could change things for him.

I dunno, it probably wouldn't faze the Bengals, to name just one club... :g

Perhaps it will be easier for us to keep him, but I really don't think it will affect his free agency status much. He blew a 0.09, (legal limit being 0.08) which is over the limit, nonetheless, but still... He wasn't an asshole when the cops stopped him, didn't wave a gun around, didn't threaten to "kill" someone because they didn't know who he was. Of course I'm comparing him to Jamaal Tinsley (who was just indicted on one felony count and two or three misdemeaner counts), but I'm just saying.... I guess we will see.

Edited by rachel

yes. He blew a 0.09.

Wow....I wonder how/if this will affect his current status. He could have possibly been one of the highest paid free agents out there, but this could change things for him.

....09, legally drunk in Indy is .08...wouldn't say he was wasted but combined with the 80+ mph, not too cool!

ESPN claims the Pats are likely to sign Adalius Thomas later today (Sat). Conn should be psyched...

They're also about to sign TE Kyle Brady to take over blocking duties from the departed Dan Graham; while Ben Watson and Dave Thomas will catch all the passes. RB Sammy Morris is also expected to sign. He will replace Corey Dillon on short yardage.

Two first round picks in the draft along with a likely handful of compensatory picks from departed 2006 free agents, so they'll be a lot of depth building through the draft.

Rumors have it that the Pats are going after a Free Agent wide receiver as well.

We gonna be favored dogs next year! :g

Must be tough to be a Raven's fan right now. They've lost 3 offensive linemen, if you include Jonathan Ogden's likely retirement (or did he announce it yet?) Then they've lost Adalius Thomas and Ray Lewis' backup is expected to be signed by someone in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, the 49ers have really improved on defence by signing Nate Clements and one of the FA safeties (name escapes me right now.) With their young offense, this is a team to keep your eyes on.

Steelers are in rebuild mode. They've lost some coaches and a couple of o-linemen. Joey Porter will be missed.

Denver has had some nice acquisitions in the offseason.

SD has lost some linemen as well. Rivers may have to run a little more this year. ;)

• 1 month later...

House of the Steel Curtain is in apparent disarray right now.

Pro Bowl OL Faneca skipped the first camp and doesn't want to show up until his contract is adjusted. He feels he's underpaid.

In the meantime, rumors have it that Big Ben isn't happy with new Head Coach Tomlin. Ben wants to be featured in the offense, while Tomlin is promoting a smash mouth run-it-down-your-throat style of ball. Ben has a reputation for being difficult. Cowher didn't want to handle another season with him, and former O-coordinator, Whisenhunt didn't want to be involved. Same with Russ Grimm, former OL coach who went off to another team.

Big Ben is full of himself. There are stories of how he and Randle El had developed their own private play book w/o Cowher's knowledge. He better get himself together because he sucked last year.

Troy Polamalou was apparently disconsolate over Cowher's departure as well.

It looks like a tough season for a team that is usually pretty solid.

• 3 weeks later...

Favorites going into training camp:

AFC

1. NE Patriots

2. Indianapolis Colts

3. San Diego Chargers

4. Baltimore Ravens

5. Denver Broncos

6. Cincinnati Bengals

upcomer: Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC

1. Chicago Bears

2. New Orleans Saints

3. Carolina Panthers

4. Seattle Seahawks

5. Philadelphia Eagles

upcomer: SF 49ers.

Interesting tidbit of info on Seattle Seahawk's quarterback Matt Hasselbeck...

His Mother was on NFL Total Access the other night and was asked if she could tell something about Matt that nobody knows. She said that he was very hard of hearing, to the point where he really can't hear communications from his teamates in the huddle.

Maybe that's one reason he goes to the line with a multitude of plays he can audible to (of course it could also be he's one smart QB)? Maybe it's an advantage when playing in noisy opposing stadiums?

However, his eye site is better than normal (20-10)...which should also be a major advantage for a quarterback looking 70 yards down the field for an open receiver. Gotta love Nature's way of compensating the other senses when one is weak.

Edited by Shawn