Rashied Ali

Late

Just like the Frank Lowe thread: I recommend Duo Exchange. Maybe it's just because it's recorded so hot, but there's energy to spare on that one.

I've been studying Rashied Ali Quintet recently--early James Blood Ulmer on that one, with an appearance by Earl Cross. There's some terrific blowing, although the main attraction (for me) is the unique, strangely grotesque group sound (shambling rhythm section, choppy guitar, horns just floating above it all).

As a sideman: Rashied is awesome on Touchin' on Trane (the Charles Gayle album)--more Elvinish than in the late-Coltrane days, but with fun to spare. He's also great on Shepp's On This Night, Alan Shorter's Orgasm, and (IMO, though many may not agree) Jackie McLean's 'Bout Soul (also a fan of his work with Marion Brown). Those are off the top of my head, though, and I'm sure many others will remember even more.

I saw him play at the Jazz Bakery a couple of months ago, in fact; he was down with Sonny Fortune, and they played a single tune a set (i.e., hour plus on 'Love for Sale'). Both of them have power to spare--fun to see these legends on the scene, venerable as they are, continuing to develop and challenge themselves. I think Rashied's become a better drummer, in fact--and he's a swell guy, too (talked to him a bit).

Thanks. And that is the Rashied album we've been talking about--although there are only two tracks. Altogether unique for a post-Coltrane album--not very 'post-Coltrane' at all, in fact... more like a blend between the BYG/ESP lo-fi sound and the more refined downtown music of the 80's. Again, a beautiful, shambling mess--but when the fireworks come, they're quite hot.

Rashied & LeRoy Jenkins was excellent (I recall)...

I second this recommandation.

One of the finest RA.

Not on the same level but the RASHIED ALI - LOUIE BELOGENIS RINGS OF SATURN on KNITTING was an excellent duo album from both men (recorded in 1997).

Edited by P.L.M

• 4 weeks later...

After a fairly thorough trawling through the internet, it appears that Ali's leader dates on KnitClassics (reissues of his own Survival label) might actually be out-of-print ... or at least harder and harder to come by.

But, um, get this: Walmart lists all his KnitClassics titles as available.

:mellow: