Small aircraft crashes into NYC high rise

sal

“The whole plane has a parachute on it,” Lidle said. “Ninety-nine percent of pilots that go up never have engine failure, and the 1 percent that do usually land it. But if you’re up in the air and something goes wrong, you pull that parachute, and the whole plane goes down slowly.”

Sept 7 NY Times Story about Lidlle's flying

From ESPN.com's report:

Lidle also talked about airplanes' safety in an interview with MLB.com in February.

"If you're 7,000 feet in the air and your engine stops, you can glide for 20 minutes," Lidle said at the time. "As long as you're careful, everything should be fine."

Although it doesn't appear this had anything to do with the crash, I find this statement odd. Are there any pilots who can confirm this fact? When I was involved in producing aviation English course materials, I wrote a question along the lines of a pilot of a private one-engine plane giving a mayday call for an engine failure asking for a vector to the nearest airport and one of our expert consultants, a pilot, basically said that if you're in a single engine plane and it fails, you fall out of the sky and can forget trying to reach an airport.

engine failure - > no airspeed -> no lift - > plane stalls

From ESPN.com's report:

Lidle also talked about airplanes' safety in an interview with MLB.com in February.

"If you're 7,000 feet in the air and your engine stops, you can glide for 20 minutes," Lidle said at the time. "As long as you're careful, everything should be fine."

Although it doesn't appear this had anything to do with the crash, I find this statement odd. Are there any pilots who can confirm this fact? When I was involved in producing aviation English course materials, I wrote a question along the lines of a pilot of a private one-engine plane giving a mayday call for an engine failure asking for a vector to the nearest airport and one of our expert consultants, a pilot, basically said that if you're in a single engine plane and it fails, you fall out of the sky and can forget trying to reach an airport.

maybe you're thinking of a helicopter?

they don't have wings.

From ESPN.com's report:

they don't have wings.

No, and how do you think helicopters achieve lift? Here's a hint:

Rotors ARE wings.

thanks for the levity, Rod. how many unknown people will die in NYC today of violence, disease, sorrow etc etc* ya'll will never hear about or care for? just be glad this arrogant joyrider didn't cause more damage to others-- the distraction is already bad enough. spare us the misplaced piety for a millionaire who had no biz showing off like that in the first place. (good thing folks in that building are $$$, or can we assume baseball fans would pass the hat if they weren't?) anyone wanna guess the poverty rate of Mott Haven in the South Bronx? (where the Yanquis are getting a new public subsidized stadium.)

fred gwynn lives!!

signed,

the grief counseler

* i'll be happy do start threads for all those i hear about.

p/s: BREAKING NEWS!!! this just in from a pal who's longtime Phillies nut-- quote from ex-teammate (when he was traded to Yanquis, not today)--

"all Cory Lidle wants to do is fly his airplane and gamble and eat ice cream."

News flash from "the grief counselor":

Rich and famous people don't have families or friends who love them. Their deaths are unimportant. Joke about it all you want! Rich people SUCK! They're arrogant too! We should boil them all for soup for the homeless and hungry, but the homeless and hungry shouldn't be forced to eat them! So its better if we take all the money from the rich people and any of you other fuckers I don't like and give it all to the people I do like!

From ESPN.com's report:

they don't have wings.

No, and how do you think helicopters achieve lift? Here's a hint:

Rotors ARE wings.

But when you run out of fuel they're not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/sports/b...and&emc=rss

Crazy article about Lidle from last month that actually mentions Thurmon Munson.

I'm frankly more than a little disgusted about some of these comments. Yes clem, there are many deaths in NYC that we will never hear about. But if I did hear about them, I certainly wouldnt be making jokes about them

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/sports/b...and&emc=rss

Crazy article about Lidle from last month that actually mentions Thurmon Munson.

I'm frankly more than a little disgusted about some of these comments. Yes clem, there are many deaths in NYC that we will never hear about. But if I did hear about them, I certainly wouldnt be making jokes about them

Just be thankful Clem didn't apparently know or hear that Lidle was a scab, too. That might really set him off.

Rod, I'm surprised you'd make such a tasteless remark in the aftermath of a man's death.
Dan, you know, I'm sorry if you were somehow offended, but in reality,

you are reaching for mental connections and assumptions where there are none -

not even a mere wisp. My comment had nothing to do directly with the topic title and that's OK -

not only on this forum, but in life. It's called lateral thinking.

I don't know either of these people either personally, professionally or culturally and

no attempt was made to either smear, degrade, or lessen their character in any way.

So what's the fuss? Am I being accused of poor product placement in someone's mental bookstore?

Apparently my off-the-cuff "Emily Litella"-like McMahon/Carson ka-ching is now seen as

a disruption of some kind of "weighty" mental pose that all who post to this topic are suppose to have?

(...and, as an aside, it's too bad that anyone who begins to recognize the irony of this baseball player's

earlier comments paired with the nature of his death won't be able to bring this up in discussion,

because, you know, we must keep a dour face on EVERYTHING remotely "connected" to this topic).

Clem may have issues about the guy(s) and I understand (and appreciate!) his defense

(BTW, my comment didn't even get close to "levity"- for that would assume that I was commenting on the subject!)

Me? I just tried to make a "funny." :rolleyes:

From ESPN.com's report:

Glider pilot here. This conclusion is wrong. You can't win the world gliding championships in a Cessna Skyhawk but it won't fall out of the sky just because the engine goes out.

By the way, Boeing 747s, 767s, etc. can glide too: http://www.askcaptainlim.com/questionsviaemail.htm

Edited by rockefeller center

From ESPN.com's report:

That wouldn't make sense either.

http://www.cybercom.net/~copters/pilot/autorotation.html

Edited by rockefeller center

It's always a surprise when I am in New York to see the number of planes flying over the city.

Flying over Paris is a no-no, except on very rare occasions. And I suppose it's the same over main cities all over the world.

Getting from New Jersey to NYC is not that much of a problem via car, bus or train!

From ESPN.com's report:

Glider pilot here. This conclusion is wrong. You can't win the world gliding championships in a Cessna Skyhawk but it won't fall out of the sky just because the engine goes out.

By the way, Boeing 747s, 767s, etc. can glide too: http://www.askcaptainlim.com/questionsviaemail.htm

That link demonstrates that I am much closer to the truth than Lidle:

Your question was, when an airplane encounters all engines failure, does the plane start flipping and crash, or continue to fly while losing height? If it continues to fly, how long does it last and how safe it is to land the aircraft ?

As I have described earlier, the aircraft does not flip or crash. It continues to fly at an optimum gliding speed, a speed much lower than its cruising speed.

However, it may not be able to maintain its cruising altitude but continues to lose height at a rate of about 2500 to 3000 feet per minute.

Lidle says "7000 feet"="glide for 20 minutes"

This Captain says you lose height at "2500 to 3000 feet per minute"

That means at most three minutes of glide.

And BTW, if my fall is at a rate that my altitude is cut in half in one minute, that sure as hell feel like "falling out of the sky."

:rolleyes:

Edit: Even at the slower rate of 2500 feet per minute, the passenger jet losing engines at 35000 feet only stays up for 14 minutes. So as I suspected, Lidle was quite wrong.

Edited by Dan Gould