States

Late

I worked the US for a decade or so. Used to visit 40 or 45 states a year. And they're all great. Really. Not a clinker, stinker or clam among 'em. Especially Mr. Nessa's state - which was that again, Massachusetts or Michigan or something. No, seriously. All great. There are still a couple of countries on my 'like to see' list. But someday, I hope to be back to the US full-time.

As a kid growing up in North Jersey I used to regularly listen to powerful radio station WWVA in Wheeling West Virginia. The crazy evangelists, coal mine reports and especially the Saturday Night Country Music Jamboree and the Mac Wiseman Record Shop Show were so exotic and different from NJ that I've always wanted to visit Wheeling. It hasn[t happened yet, but I'll make it before I die.

I've been through most of the east coast; midwest, southwest (except Utah and New Mexico); southern California and Washington State. I'd like to go to northern California and other northern states such as Montana, North Dakota, etc. One of my big dreams is to ride the Amtrak Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle which follows a lot of the Lewis and Clark trail.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...87&ssid=135

I've been quite lucky as well. I traveled throughout the United States about 4 years ago after quitting a job and still getting a severance package out of it (long story). The United States is truly a beautiful country.

The only places I have not been to are the New England area, Alaska and Hawaii.

My goal is to one day move to Oregon. Definitely my favorite state. The Pacific Northwest is the most beautiful place in the world to me.

Yeah, Oregon is a very underrated travel spot. Great wine country (all-in-all a better experience than the California wine country, since it isn't overrun with tourists and their children), and great restaurants and brew-pubs in Portland (and even a couple great cd shops!). Plus the eco-tourism there is great; the Columbia gorge, Willamette valley, the coastline and the desert in the eastern portion of the state are all incredible.

Love a bunch of stuff I've seen. For "awe inspiring" I suggest the Black Canyon in Colorada and Utah for Zion. I'll never forget these.

Zion NP is like driving into another friggin' planet----amazing! Like no other place I've ever been. But I sure wouldn't want to live in Utah, though.

I'd love to see Crater Lake, too.

Crater Lake is incredible. Like J Larsen says, there are so many nice spots in Oregon...and throughout that region in general. My dream is to own a home from where I can see Mt. Hood.

A few years ago it was cheap - you could get a nice house there for a few hundred thousand. Now there are $1 million + condos in Portland.

My grandparents used to have an incredible house on Lake Oswego with a full (base to peak) view of Mt. Hood from their dock - they would have sold it for about 15 times as much if they had held on to it for another 10 years or so... unfortunately the high property tax in Oregon rendered that impossible for them. With no sales tax and minimal income tax, propety tax is a crucial component of the state's income.

Back on the thread topic, the south is my most under-explored region of the country. I've only been to Georgia.

Edited by J Larsen

I traveled all around the USA with my wife back in 1976. A two-month voyage on Greyhound buses. From New York to SF via New Orleans and back via the plains. Loved it.

We had plans to make a return visit to the western States but cancelled this when the wife got pregnant.

Nowadays, our love affair with the States has ebbed! But one never knows! We talk about a new visit off and on...

I did the same thing in 1977. Took the Greyhound from Baltimore to San Francisco, Los Angeles and Vegas then up to Vancouver and across to Montreal before returning to Baltimore. The whole trip was a real eye opener for a naive 18 year old English lad. Some of those bus depots were in pretty interesting parts of town.

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), the strangest characters I met were in Canada. All in all though it was a wonderful experience.

Well, having lived in Alaska a long time and having a job that keeps me travelling to just about every area, it's a great place to visit-- but you prob don't want to live here.

A lot of people don't understand the size and diversity of this place-- everything from arctic tundra to northern rain forest, the bleakest to the richest vistas. It's 360 miles from Fairbanks (second biggest with about 80,000 people) to Anchorage (biggest with 300k-- about half of the entire state's population) and that little section of road (which goes through Denali Park, incidentally) is a tiny little bit at the south-central of the map... I've round-tripped that road just to get some good sushi, not to mention seeing live music :)