SF Jazz Collective - 2006

jlhoots

How much is it this go around?

I have the first 3 cd set, but didn't drop the $ on the follow up 2 disc set that was the same price. The 3 seemed to be a fair price, the 2 seemed expensive for some reason.

Exact same situation here. I really like this band and would like to have the multiple disc sets, but you can only charge so much for CDs in my opinion.

Edit: Just checked the price....$35 for two discs. Damn.

Edited by sal

Compare this to Chuck's offer of 5 discs of Vandermark for $34. I realize there's a little different dynamic (and a greater number of artists in the SF Jazz Collective) involved here, but there's still no reason that we should pay $35 for a two disc set, especially when this is coming direct from the source, not through normal retail channels.

Edited by Aggie87

The SF Jazz Collective e-Store provides the skinny:

For the Collective's 2004 inaugural season, SFJAZZ issued a collector's edition 3-CD set documenting live recordings of the ensemble's eight original compositions and six masterworks by Ornette Coleman.

In fall 2005, SFJAZZ released a limited edition 2-CD set documenting the ensemble's second season (spring '05) with live recordings of each of the new compositions by each band member and new arrangements of seven works by John Coltrane.

In fall 2006, SFJAZZ will release a limited edition multi-disc set documenting the ensemble's third season (spring '06) with live recordings of each of the new compositions by each band member and new arrangements of six works by Herbie Hancock.

Further googling reveals that there are also one-CD compilations of the 2004 and 2005 sets released on Nonesuch.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the first two? I'm afraid it'll be terribly professional and squeaky clean but without much juice. In particular, I'm having a hard time imagining these folks really being comfortable with Ornette's music on the first release...

Edited by Tom Storer

I have the first 3 cd set, but didn't drop the $ on the follow up 2 disc set that was the same price. The 3 seemed to be a fair price, the 2 seemed expensive for some reason.

I know price is important but I'm sure many of us would never think twice about paying $35 for say, a Japanese reissue of some long forgotten recording by an artist we enjoy, even if it is not his best work.

I think with recordings by the SF Collective, and ArtistsShare is another label that comes to mind, we should support the musicians and expect perhaps to pay a little bit extra for the privilege of listening to some terrific music. Everything is beautifully recorded and presented and I would think only sells in limited numbers, so unless we buy it, then ......what?

In answer to Toms's question about the relative merits of the 2004 & 2005 SF Collective recordings, then my preference is for the original, 2004, collection. I think they handle Ornette's music well and they are such catchy tunes, but personally I prefer the original tunes by each of the band members.

Edited by Head Man

Can anyone offer an opinion on the first two? I'm afraid it'll be terribly professional and squeaky clean but without much juice. In particular, I'm having a hard time imagining these folks really being comfortable with Ornette's music on the first release...

There have been previous threads about this topic. If I remember correctly, the opinions regarding this set were quite positive.

I never heard the second set covering Coltrane's music, but I quite enjoyed the first one where they did Ornette's. They were very creative with the arrangements and did a fine job re-interperting the songs.

In answer to Toms's question about the relative merits of the 2004 & 2005 SF Collective recordings, then my preference is for the original, 2004, collection. I think they handle Ornette's music well and they are such catchy tunes, but personally I prefer the original tunes by each of the band members

This is my feeling too. The first disc was really enjoyable--the compositions, the playing, the sonics..one of my favorites among newer releases. The second disc, in contrast, was disappointing to me. The compositions tended to be a little flat and the sound wasn't as good. Hopefully, just a sophmore slump and the 2006 set rock

Compare this to Chuck's offer of 5 discs of Vandermark for $34. I realize there's a little different dynamic (and a greater number of artists in the SF Jazz Collective) involved here, but there's still no reason that we should pay $35 for a two disc set, especially when this is coming direct from the source, not through normal retail channels.

Thanks for the reminder on the Vmark - I think I'd rather have that deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note received with my shipment from SF Jazz

"The forecast for the SF jazz Collective remains just as bright. In 2007

they will cross the Pacific Ocean for their first Asian tour, then return for

a string of dates in the U.s. before reforming in the summer to hit the European jazz frestival circuit.

The group will welcome Dave Douglas as its new trumpeter following the departure of

founding trumpeter Nicholas Payton. And Stefon Harris, a Fellow "#1Rising Star" will be a guest on vibes for the European leg of their tour"

Listening to Disc#1 so far :tup

Edited by gslade

• 2 weeks later...

proceeds form the cd sets go to the education project of the SF Jazz Org so this might be part of the deal, price wise. I've been listening to disc 1 sofar and it's great again (just as the 2004 & 2005 editions). For the cheapos on this board (who don't take their jazz seriously): there's a 1 cd compilation coming again next year from Nonesuch.....

For the cheapos on this board (who don't take their jazz seriously): there's a 1 cd compilation coming again next year from Nonesuch.....

:tdown

Thanks for passing judgement there, Reinier. I'm a cheapo when I think things are overpriced. Apparently that makes me someone who doesn't take my jazz seriously.

I purchased 21 CDs today by the way, 12 of which were jazz.

For the cheapos on this board (who don't take their jazz seriously): there's a 1 cd compilation coming again next year from Nonesuch.....

Perhaps you should have re-phrased this as "for the people on this board who don't have the disposable income to buy the 2 CD set....."

I don't see how the inability to purchase every jazz CD out there no matter what the price equates to not "taking jazz seriously"...