Anyone heard McCoy Tyner's Septet lately?

Dmitry

It's happening under the header of "The Story of Impulse! Records"

With Charnett Moffett, Eric Kamau Gravatt, Eric Alexander, Wallace Roney, Steve Turre and Donald Harrison.

I'm kinda on the fence about this gig. Apparently Tyner is on tour doing this Impulse thing now. What's the word on this band?

Can't vouch for the septet, but I saw the trio (with Moffett and Gravatt) last weekend (10-21). It was a magnificent musical experience. McCoy looks gaunt, walks weakly, and talks in a mumble. But he was playing far better than he played the previous time I saw him, in '95. Less rococo, much meatier. The sets were short but intense.

saw them at the mjf in july, gave plenty of time to his band members; did 2 50 minute sets plus encore with the second set being 60-70 percent solo of his own work; he was charming, engaging, tried out his french, the audience ate it up and he fed off it, he sounded tired (ill?) in his monologue to the audience, but his playing was top notch, fresh, vibrant, no sign of any failing health...one of the highlights of the festival; one thing, don"t expect a coltranesque type of set; its tyner in control, alot of his own work which was refreshing; it was my pleasure to hear him....if you have never heard him......a statement plato could easily answer, if you have to ask don't go

Do we know that McCoy is actually taking part in the pre-show discussion? For some other (non-jazz) events at another university (George Mason), the pre-show discussion typically involves an artistic assistant or business person.

Received the following email Friday from UMD:

Join us before the McCoy Tyner Septet concert at 6PM to celebrate the anniversary of Impulse! Records and the enduring legacy of John Coltrane. This free pre-performance discussion will feature jazz broadcaster Rusty Hassam, producer Willard Jenkins and musician/educator Carl Grubbs. Author Ashley Kahn, originally scheduled to be part of the conversation, cannot join us due to a family emergency. However, his book THE HOUSE THAT TRANE BUILT: The Story of Impulse Records will be available for sale in the Grand Pavilion.

Saw him in Montreal during the jazz fest, sound was awful plus they were some subs at the last minute, Friedman and Payton weren't there.

He was decent especially in the second part. But it was ordinary it was probably the weakest show i attended during the whole festival. He looked old and although he seemed to be in good spirits the body was not what it used to be.

Saw them in July. Trio was good. Horns did'nt add much and did'nt manage to connect, Alexander is good in small clubs but was just going through the motions on this occasion, as was Roney with his endless sixteens and eights up and down scales. He's supposed to be a Miles-man, but apparantly never heard about neither less is more nor tension & release.

My reaction to Sunday's show at Univ of Maryland is similar to Pepe's. Perhaps my expectations were a bit high with all of the "Impulse" hype, the collection of "all-star" horn players (Alexander, Roney, Harrison, Turre), and the Bob Belden arrangements. I came away underwhelmed by the horn players, and the arrangements (everyone plays the head together, then three players at a time shuffle mostly offstage while one solos). Alexander and Harrison had the best nights that night. Roney didn't seem to connect (or ever look up).

The trio was great, especially Charnett Moffett. McCoy appears to be slowing down a bit in terms of getting on/off the stage--I hadn't seen him live since summer 2001 in Chicago--but he can still deliver the goods.

Bertrand, good to finally meet you. I didn't work the Twins room during the recent organissimo visit as well as I could have, but I correctly figured you were the energetic fellow sitting front and center...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else see McCoy in Austin last night?

I enjoyed the concert alot--I hadn't seen McCoy live since 1993, so it was a bit of a shock to see him look so frail. The trio of Tyner/Moffett/Gravatt sounded great to me--I hope they make a trio record. The solo pieces were really nice.

I enjoyed hearing the horns playing some classic pieces--of the group I prefer Donald Harrison. Steve Turre is fine also; Eric Alexander was slightly less boring than usual. I didn't recognize the trumpet player (in the Dizzy vein).

I was wishing to see the trio (plus Donald Harrison of the horn players) in a small club.

It may have been Nicholas Payton. He's spiltting the trumpet duties w/ Wallace Roney on this tour. I saw them Friday night here in Philly and Roney was w/ them.

I didn't think McCoy looked so frail this time. He was definitely moving around better than the last few times I saw him(earlier this year and April 2005) when I thought he looked pretty bad. Remember it's a long flight from Philly to Austin and then he had to play that same night. That would do me in and I'm in pretty good shape for 42. His voice still sounds tired though.

It may have been Nicholas Payton. He's spiltting the trumpet duties w/ Wallace Roney on this tour. I saw them Friday night here in Philly and Roney was w/ them.

I didn't think McCoy looked so frail this time. He was definitely moving around better than the last few times I saw him(earlier this year and April 2005) when I thought he looked pretty bad. Remember it's a long flight from Philly to Austin and then he had to play that same night. That would do me in and I'm in pretty good shape for 42. His voice still sounds tired though.

It wasn't Payton or Roney. He looked like a pretty young fellow.

I just got back from picking up my aunt Suzi Stern (an Austin jazz singer of some note) from the airport (she's in town for Thanksgiving). When I met her, she told me that as she was leaving Austin earlier today she ran into McCoy Tyner getting on the same flight (along with Steve Turre). They met at the candy counter and had a nice conversation about Mentos... :D

She gave him a couple of her CDs. When she saw him later on the plane, he patted his carry-on bag and said, "I'm going to listen to these."

Edited by Alexander