Duke Ellington

Clunky

I'm looking to add to my early EKE collection especially his RCA material

So far I have

Indispensible Duke Ellington Vol1/2 2LP set- 1927-29- no alternates included

Blanton-Webster Years - 3 CD- sound is just about ok but not great as many will testify

Complete Duke... Box 5 - 4 LPs Vol 21-24, 1946-1952

Probably easiest would be to collect the remainder of the 24 LP set I don't have and ditch the earlier compilation. I have Vol 1 of the Masters of Jazz set but it seems pointless going that route as Mosaic look to be ready to cover the Okeh/Columbia material in the upcoming Small groups box etc. The massive RCA Cd set appears to be well OOP and also well beyond budget. Was the earlier 24 LP set complete for the years 1927-1940 or were alternates /unissed titles added to the subsequent Cd set.?

any thoughts

Clunky, you may have a hard time getting the remainder of the French RCA LP releases. The Centennial box added 5 alternates to the pre-1940 material that had not been unearthed when the vinyls were being produced.

The Masters of Jazz series stopped at vol. 12 up to January 1931. The forthcoming Mosaic box will not include pre-1931 sides.

If a CD set exactly duplicating the "Works of Duke - Complete Edition/Intégrale" series on French RCA is available somewhere then this might be easier to get today than the LP series.

However, if - as you say - the upcoming Mosaic set covers Oket/Columbia sides only then this will not help with the RCA sides.

Those French RCA LP's should still be around in secondhand record bins if you are preared to search. It all depends on whether you have any dealers or record fairs with a good selection in your area. I have several LP's of this "Works of Duke - Complete Edition/Intégrale" series (mostly covering the 1934 to 1941 era) and picked up those volumes very cheaply at a local secondhand record dealer. I may have a lead where more of them will be forthcoming soon.

If you want to stick with vinyl, ditch the Indispensable B&W double LP and go for the "Complete Edition /Intégrale" series.

@Brownie:

What kind of money would Paris Jazz Corner demand for each of these "Intégrale" LP's, I wonder? ;-)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Some of those French RCA LPs show up from time to time in the secondhand record shops here but not complete sets!

A couple of the French RCA vinyls were withdrawn because they contained broadcasts that did not belong to RCA. They were subsequently replaced by issues that had only RCA-owned tracks!

Some of those French RCA LPs show up from time to time in the secondhand record shops here but not complete sets!

A couple of the French RCA vinyls were withdrawn because they contained broadcasts that did not belong to RCA. They were subsequently replaced by issues that had only RCA-owned tracks!

Volume 7, IIRC.

(...) However, if - as you say - the upcoming Mosaic set covers Oket/Columbia sides only then this will not help with the RCA sides.

From the Mosaic site (future projects):

"November 2006

MOSAIC BOXED SET

Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and OKeh Small Group Sessions (MD7-235) (7 CDs - $119)

Our November release is one that has longed to be issued in its entirety. This set will be a 7 disc set covering all those seminal Helen Oakley and Irving Mills produced sides from 1935 to 1940. With Ellington at the piano these recordings were led by Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Rex Stewart and Cootie Williams and are a significant display of how Ellington was able to arrange for small group and bring the absolute best out of his sidemen.

In some cases, these performances represented the first time collectors and fans were hearing now classic Ellingtonia: Juan Tizol's composition "Caravan" from a Barney Bigard session; Cootie Williams' "Echoes of Harlem"; vocal versions by the forgotten Mary McHugh on "Lost In Meditation" and "Prelude To A Kiss"; Rex Stewart's peerless cornet conceptions on "Rexatious" and "The Back Room Romp". And the Johnny Hodges masterpieces alone consist of "Blue Reverie", "Jeep's Blues", "The Jeep Is Jumpin'", a trio side with Duke and bassist Billy Taylor on "Finesse" and one of the most plaintive of these Hodges releases, "Wanderlust".

The set will also include small group sessions led by Ellington, his piano solos and the duet sides with bassist Jimmie Blanton. There is also the Gotham Stompers session that comprises both the Ellington band and the Chick Webb band with Chick at the drums. All known alternate takes are included here as well, some of which only came out on short-lived bootleg LPs in the 1960s and 1970s. The transfers of this material plus the thoughtful liner notes, come from the preeminent Ellington collector Steven Lasker. Steven has also provided us with a rare rehearsal disc on “Echoes of Harlem”. There are 173 tracks in all with rare photographs, a complete updated discography and in-depth liner notes by Lasker."

Volume 7, IIRC.

Volume 17 actually. And one more (can't trace that one, right now!)

Blanton-Webster Years - 3 CD- sound is just about ok but not great as many will testify

You know, if you're talking about the earlier Blanton-Webster box, that box has been replaced by BMG with this one:

B00008J2IX.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65936112_.jpg

with significantly improved sound and more tracks. And it's reasonably priced (e.g., several Amazon.UK Marketplace merchants have it for about 14 pounds).

Edited by Ron S

@Brownie:

What kind of money would Paris Jazz Corner demand for each of these "Intégrale" LP's, I wonder? ;-)

Have not visited Paris Jazz Corner in some time. But you could check with their website: http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/

Saw a copy of one of the early set in another store but the copies looked pretty beatup!

Volume 7, IIRC.

So, I was off by 10. Brown cover. :)

Volume 7, IIRC.

So, I was off by 10. Brown cover. :)

The cover of vol. 17 has a color closeup of Duke. Color him brown. The cover was actually pink!

The other volume was nr. 14 which included two unauthorized tracks of a broadcast with John Scott Trotter and his Orchestra that featured Duke and Jimmy Blanton!

Clunky, you may have a hard time getting the remainder of the French RCA LP releases. The Centennial box added 5 alternates to the pre-1940 material that had not been unearthed when the vinyls were being produced.

The Masters of Jazz series stopped at vol. 12 up to January 1931. The forthcoming Mosaic box will not include pre-1931 sides.

Thanks, I think Ill see how I get on with the remaining French RCA Lps. There's a place near that gets this sort of thing in pretty often.

Edited by Clunky

You know, if you're talking about the earlier Blanton-Webster box, that box has been replaced by BMG with this one:

B00008J2IX.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65936112_.jpg

with significantly improved sound and more tracks. And it's reasonably priced (e.g., several Amazon.UK Marketplace merchants have it for about 14 pounds).

"with significantly improved sound..." I should hope so!

well I got a fair number today, the store had several of some the volumes

Vols 1,2,5,6,7,8,12,13,15,16 &19 ....all for £22

well I got a fair number today, the store had several of some the volumes

Vols 1,2,5,6,7,8,12,13,15,16 &19 ....all for £22

Nice score! :tup