Digital Music Server

Z-Man

The use of the squeezebox is a nice possibility, but many that have gone this route have done upgrades to the squeezebox in the power supply (inexpensive) and to the digital or analog outputs (expensive). While I considred this, what I ended up doing was to wirelessly beam my music from my Mac laptop, and associated HDs, to an airport express and use an optical cable out of the airport express to my DAC ( I am using the Lavry although I considred the Benchmark). The information stream from the laptop to the DAC can be done bit perfect. This produces a very high quality source and is quite convenient. I have been happy with this rig and, because I already had the DAC and laptop, I only had to purchase the airport express and the optical cable. Works for me.

I'd like to beam an audio signal throughout my house, sort of my own radio station. I'm thinking of using an old Mac with an EHD holding my music library. iTunes on the Mac would beam the music signal. I could then hopefully use Airport Expresses and/or Apple TVs connected to stereos in different rooms. Is this doable? Would each receptor (Airport Express/Apple TV) need some sort of video screen? Will iTunes beam to multiple receptors (Airport Express/Apple TV), or will I need a software program like AirFoil? Ideally, I could use wi-fi iPods to receive the music signal, but I don't know if that's possible. Anyone have thoughts?

Fortunately it is much simpler than that!

old Mac + EHD, running iTunes, will work just fine as a digital source

purchase an Airport Express (AEX) for each room that you want to play music in

iTunes has a little piece of software that recognizes each AEX and so you will be able to beam to the AEX of your choose (or multiple AEXs simultaneously)

the AEX then needs to be connected to a power source which is of course connected to your speakers

as Deuterium mentions above, you can bypass the DAC in the AEX by using a digital cable to connect the AEX to a separate DAC, which then connects to the power source

this step is optional

I go this route for my two "serious" listening rooms but go straight from the AEX to the power source in my daughter's bedroom*

if you have one, you can then use your iPod, iPad or iPhone as a remote

there are plenty of audiophile enhancements that can be made (which I have not), but this will get you up and running and enjoying music

happy to explain further if you like

* in her room I have bypassed the separate power source as the AEX is connected to these powered speakers:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

What's a good source (magazine, website, etc) to learn about various hardware and software items that are out there? For example, from where can I learn more about the DACs that are available? At some point, I'll need to get a new receiver, and it'd be nice to reimagine my system to best suit my current needs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try www.computeraudiophile.com

I have these two:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-dac-da-processor

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-DAC-II-Asynchronous/dp/B005K8CSZ2

The V-DAC is a reasonable place to start!

With the V-DAC, some reviewers suggest replacing the power supply. Did you do that, or is the one that came with the unit OK?

Try www.computeraudiophile.com

I have these two:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-dac-da-processor

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-DAC-II-Asynchronous/dp/B005K8CSZ2

The V-DAC is a reasonable place to start!

With the V-DAC, some reviewers suggest replacing the power supply. Did you do that, or is the one that came with the unit OK?

I know that was the recommendation with the original V-DAC, but I did not. Perhaps I am dreaming, but I thought that was an improvement made with the V-DAC II. But I could be thinking of some other component ...

Edited by Eric

So I've started using the AEX to stream music into a different room in the house. It works well, but I'm noticing one drawback: on playback (at least on my main computer), there are little breaks in the music. I think it happens when the computer is communicating with "the cloud."

So I've started using the AEX to stream music into a different room in the house. It works well, but I'm noticing one drawback: on playback (at least on my main computer), there are little breaks in the music. I think it happens when the computer is communicating with "the cloud."

Hmm, have not noticed that.

Are you using iTunes Match or streaming from your computer?

I'm using iTunes from my computer (not iTunes Match), with the "2 Speakers" option in iTunes. But there are so many other programs that communicate with the cloud (iCal, etc). It's just a guess on my part; I can't say definitively that's what's causing it. Interestingly, I don't hear breaks in the music from the remote speakers.

I'm using iTunes from my computer (not iTunes Match), with the "2 Speakers" option in iTunes. But there are so many other programs that communicate with the cloud (iCal, etc). It's just a guess on my part; I can't say definitively that's what's causing it. Interestingly, I don't hear breaks in the music from the remote speakers.

Hmm, maybe it is your network.